Chapter Six

Kate Andrews

"I'm heading to work!" Kevin yelled from downstairs as I heard him grab his keys. "I'll see you tonight! Love you!"
"Love you too!" I called out.
The front door closed and locked. I found myself alone in bed, staring up at the ceiling. I should have started getting ready but I just wasn't feeling it. I looked over at the clock on my dresser and frowned 7 o'clock. I really wasn't in the mood for school today but I didn't want to start skipping school so early in the year. I also knew that Peaches would be pissed, and Miss Janes would be on my back about it. I didn't feel like dealing with making up a day of detention, or explaining why I'd missed.
I sighed and looked down at the drawer, tentatively reaching down to pull it open. There was that pill from Sam. Just staring at me. I chewed my lip as I considered taking it. No.
I stood I shoved the drawer shut and shook my head. I didn't need to numb myself for school. It was just a dream. A dream I'd had plenty of times. It usually didn't start with Miss Janes though. Shit. I'd forgotten completely about that part of the dream. Her lips. Her eyes. Oh my god.

I slammed the car door shut behind me and sprinted towards the school. Shit, shit, shit, shit... Peaches held the door open for me as I ran inside. I couldn't help but to wink. She smirked and shook her head.
I knew the bell was seconds from ringing. It had to be. By some miracle however, I slid into the classroom just as it finally went off. My cheeks were flushed red from running and my hair was even more so disheveled than before. I brushed my fingers back through it as I walked to my seat. Miss Janes smiled as she walked to the door to close it.
"So good of you to join us this morning, Miss Andrews." She smirked as she crossed her arms and stood beside the board.
"Wouldn't miss it for the world... "
A few of the students chuckled as I sat down and settled in.
She rolled her eyes slightly and turned towards her podium to go over a few announcements.
I grabbed my pencil and started twirling it through my fingers. Taking a moment to actually look at Miss Janes for the first time today. Dear god my dream. The pencil spun out of my hand and hit Eric in the side of the face.
He, very dramatically I might add, grabbed his cheek and let out a pathetic little gasp.
"What the fuck!?" He growled over at me as he turned in his seat to face me.
My eyes went wide as the room was suddenly deathly silent. Even Miss Janes seemed to have lost all ability to speak as the moment seemed to pause while everyone waited for my response. Every set of eyes in the classroom were drilling into me unwaveringly.
"I'm so sorry... It was an accident." It was all I could manage to say before he stood up and stepped towards me. I barely managed to stand when his hands were clenched in my shirt. "I said it was an accident!" I grabbed his wrists.
"Bullshit, faggot! How does a pencil get thrown accidentally?" His eyes were angry, his cheeks flushed red. Not from the pencil however but from embarrassment. I was fucked.
I felt his grip loosen, and from prior experience I knew that meant a fist was about to be cocked. I clenched my eyes shut as I watched his arm pull back. Instead though I felt hair brush against my face. Followed by a body pressed against my stomach. I opened my eyes to find Miss Janes standing between us both.
"That's enough!" She yelled as she held up her hands and forced us apart from each other. His left hand was still gripped tight in my shirt but he'd lowered his right.
I knew I should be scared but all I could think about was how fucking good she smelled. My stomach was lit with fire from her back pressed against my stomach and her ass pressed firmly back against my groin. I felt my heart beat pick up as I realized I was pinned back against my desk and had to just stand there. I tried my hardest not to move at all, not even breath as she stood against me.
"

She threw a pencil at me!" His arm was over her shoulder and I was suddenly scared he'd accidentally hurt her, trying to get to me.
"Let go of her shirt." She said firmly, her fingers splayed out wide as a barrier. "And go wait for me in the hallway..." Her voice was slowly calming as she spoke. She kept her eyes in his.
His lip curled up before he rolled his eyes and pushed me back slightly as he let go of my shirt. He turned on his heel and stormed out of the classroom.
I felt her body relax before she stepped away from me and turned around. She watched me for a moment as if she was trying to decide if she thought it was an accident or not. She sighed and pointed towards her desk.
"You go sit there until I come back."
"It really was an accident... I was spinning it in my fingers and it just.." She held up her hand to stop me. I  actually felt really bad. She didn't need to be dealing with Eric and me fighting. I watched her closely but she simply sighed again.
"Just go sit down..." She turned towards the hallway "and.. don't touch any pencils" she added before she walked through the doorway and closed the door gently.
I glanced around the classroom, before I bent to grab my bag and went to the front of the room. I felt weird sitting in her seat, so instead I leaned against the edge of the desk and crossed my arms.  Sam was watching me, I could feel her eyes. I looked over at her and she offered me a soft smile. I smiled back, but it didn't quite reach my eyes.
After a couple of minutes everyone had started quietly talking to each other as we waited for Miss Janes to return. When she finally did, she was by herself. I looked towards to door for Eric, but he wasn't there. The classroom fell silent again.
"Please stay after class Miss Andrews. You may go back to your seat."
I grabbed my bag, and walked silently back to my seat. I wasn't about to get myself in more trouble by trying to talk about things now. Sam rubbed my back gently as I sat down. She squeezed my shoulder lightly, then pulled her hand back. I glanced at Miss Janes who was watching Sam's hand, but she looked away quickly. She brushed her hand back through her hair as she walked to her podium. She stood there quietly as she looked at her notes.
"I had something else planned for today..." She started speaking softly before she looked up at the class. "but I think I'd like to change things a bit today. With the rest of your time, I'd like you to write about a time when you were made to feel... Lesser than. It could be anything from not being chosen to play kickball in first grade, to being called a derogatory name." She chewed the inside of her lip as she thought. "let me make one thing very clear..." She looked down at her podium and gathered up her papers. She tapped them gently to align them then she looked back up. Her eyes landed directly in mine, and I swear I thought I was going to melt. "I will never tolerate someone being attacked because of a line of difference. Race. Gender. Religion. Sexual orientation." She looked back at me briefly "you are all welcome in my classroom and I will never allow you to be bullied here." She grabbed her papers and walked to her desk. "Write in whatever form you choose, poetry, short story, essay... Turn it in when you leave."
With that she sat down and put on her glasses. Everyone was still quiet as they watched her for a moment, until someone finally stood to go get their folder. Everyone else soon followed suit. As I passed by Miss Janes' desk, I caught her gaze from over her computer. She smiled slightly at me then looked back at her screen. I smiled softly and went to grab my folder, but it wasn't there.
Sam slapped it against my shoulder and chuckled.
"It's right here, goober."
I turned around and smirked " who you calling a goober?"
She smiled and pushed her finger into my side playfully "you..."
I grinned and grabbed my folder from her as she turned to head to our desks. As I followed I thought I had felt Miss Janes eyes on me, but when I glanced over she was deeply enthralled by something on her computer. Not paying a bit of attention to me.
When the bell rang at the end of class I closed my folder and started packing my things. Sam ruffled my hair slightly.
"See you later?" She asked as she passed by.
"Sure." I grinned at her. She smiled and walked out of the room, along with the others.
I stood and took my folder to turn in, then stopped by Miss Janes desk and leaned against the edge.
She glanced up at me and then pulled off her glasses.
"It really was an accident?" She stood and crossed her arms. Even though she was shorter than me, she was still pretty intimidating.
I looked into her eyes as I nodded "It really was."
She watched me closely, before she nodded her head.
"Did he hurt you?" As she asked, she rubbed her hand gently over her own elbow. Her eyes glanced up into mine tentatively.
I shook my head and smiled softly "No ..I'm fine. I've had worse." The words slipped out without me realizing what I'd said. She had started to smile but it quickly faded.
"What do you mean?" She asked quickly.
"Nothing... It umm.."
"Does your brother..."
"No!" I said quickly, a bit louder than I intended. I sighed "sorry.. but no.. he doesn't. Kevin is amazing. He'd never hurt me."
She watched me closely before nodding and pushing her hair back. She was trying to figure out if she should keep asking, but she must have realized that would only push me away. So instead and just rested her hand on my arm gently.
"I'm here for you. If you ever need anything." She looked into my eyes, causing a deep shiver to shake down my spine.
A flash from last night popped into my head. Picturing her lips hovering just an inch from mine. Those soft green eyes looked so loving. So caring. Oh god. We were so close. I felt my heart beat pick up, but she pulled her hand back. Suddenly I felt a wave of sadness wash over me.
"And... How about from now on, you leave the pencil spinning to when Eric isn't around." She chuckled softly. God her laugh was music to my ears.
I smirked slightly "Probably a good idea."
She cleared her throat and turned back to her desk.
"I'll see you at lunch?" She asked as she grabbed her glasses.
"I'll be here.." I quipped and tossed my backpack over my shoulders. I tugged at the straps gently as I turned away. What was this woman doing to me?