Chapter Three

Kate Andrews

The heavy engine purred loudly beneath me as I turned into Kev's shop. I pulled around back and cut the engine after I slid it into park.

"Detention on your first day?" Carla called out from the shop as I slipped from my car.
I laughed and shook my head " it wasn't my fault"

"It never is. " she grinned. " Well.. did you and Peaches have fun together at least?"

I walked over beside her and grabbed my coveralls.

"It was actually with a new teacher."

She burst into a loud laughing fit, brushing her hand back through the hot pink hair on her head.

"You pissed off a new teacher?" She shook her head, as she covered her mouth with her hand and bent forward slightly.

I stepped into my coveralls "shut up.." I chuckled.

"Hey... Come on.." she slapped my arm gently as she stood. "you got detention... on your first day... with a new teacher.. I'm allowed to poke fun. "

I grinned and bumped her shoulder playfully with my own.

"Speaking of fun... When are you going to let me take you on a date?"

"That wouldn't be fun.. " she chuckled as she looked through some papers.

"Yes it would.." I leaned against the wall beside her and grinned. "Lots of fun" I winked.

She looked at me and smirked "You are ridiculous" she put her hand on my chest and pushed me back "get to work you big flirt..."

I laughed and stepped back, before I turned around to grab my hat. I pulled it over my head as I glanced at her.

"I'll get you some day.." I winked again.

She simply rolled her eyes and chuckled "In your dreams..."

"You don't even know..."

"I don't want to know.." she laughed.

" Hey... " I said as I walked up behind Kev and ruffled his hair. "sorry I'm late.."

He shook his head, his eyes still stuck on the computer screen. "It's fine, but I need you to take care of Mrs Bell's car before you leave. Even if it takes past closing." he muttered as he typed up an order form.

"Sure, no problem" I watched him for a moment "You okay?" I leaned against the door frame and tucked my hands into my pockets.

"Huh?" He looked up at me finally "oh.. ya, just busy." He smiled slightly.

I nodded my head and went to turn away as he looked back at the screen. I knew he was mad. He always got quiet when he was mad.

I spent the rest of the evening working on Mrs Bell's Camry. It's a great car, even though it was like twenty years old it still basically worked like brand new. I walked over towards her as I wiped my hands on a small cloth, before pushing it into my pocket.

"All set Mrs Bell.." I smiled. The women looked up at me and grinned as she stood from her chair.

"Oh thank you , Kate. Does everything look okay?"