Ch 1:The Moral Ideal

The moral ideal of the desert Arabs may be called, in accordance with Goldziher's usage, murūwah or manliness. It has been well described by R.A Nicholson as 'bravery in battle, patience in misfortune , persistence in revenge, protection of the weak, defiance of the strong'. These virtues are in fact those required if a tribe is to be successful in the struggle for existence in the desert. Bravery is not conceived in the same way as we conceive it. The Arab did not believe in taking unnecessary risks, unless when his blood was up, he avoided such dangers and hardships as could be avoided. This perhaps explains why persistence in revenge is counted as a virtue. Defiance of the strong is a reflection of the fact that continued existence depends on military strength. The strong, however,is prepared to protect the weak where the weak acknowledges the superiority of the strong ; it is partly a case of human co-operation against the forces of nature, and it serves to strengthen the strong tribe.

Generosity and hospitality were greatly admired in the desert and are still prominent virtues of the Arabs. A large heap of ashes outside his tent was a mark of high excellence in a chief, for it meant that he entertained many guests.

●●●●●●●●●●

Thank you for reading my writing.Do not forget to vote and comment and thus get a dedication or follow from me.Those who are keeping this in their libraries...show yourself guys.

Ohkay then, I'll see you soon with a new chapter that will be about the birth of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH).

Allahhafiz!