Scene 10

"If I can trust my dreams," Thomas began, "good news is coming. I had a dream that I was dead, but Y/N came to bring me back to life with a kiss. If only dreams were reality."

His thoughts were interrupted when his servant Sally entered.

"Sally? Do you have news from Verona? From the Friar? How about Y/N? Nothing can be wrong if she is well." Thomas said dreamily.

"Then she is well, and nothing is wrong. I saw her being brought to the Washingtons' tomb. She is among the angels in heaven now..." Sally paused, her voice softening. "I'm sorry I'm the one who had to tell you. It's my job, sir."

Thomas felt like he had all the wind knocked out of him, and fell into a chair behind him. "Is it really true? Sally, get me some ink and paper. And a horse. I leave for Verona tonight."

"Please, sir, be patient. You look pale. I'm worried you'll hurt yourself."

"You're wrong. Leave and do as I've told you. Have you no message from the Friar?"

"No, sir."

"No matter then. Go get those horses, and I'll be with you in a moment."

Sally left the room, leaving Thomas to hold his head in his hands. How could this have happened? How cruel of fate to do this to him. When Thomas was done feeling sorry for himself, he stood from where he had collapsed, and gathered his belongings.

"Well, Y/N, I'll lay with you tonight. Ah, destructive thoughts come quickly to desperate men! I know of an apothecary. He wears shabby clothes and makes drugs out of herbs. I know he must be poor, and it is him that will sell me the poison I need."

•••

"Apothecary!"

"Who is that yelling so loud?" The apothecary emerged at the door of his shop.

"Come here, sir. I have money for you if you give me a shot of poison. Something that works as fast as gunpowder in a cannon." Thomas brandished a small bag of coins, tossing it to the apothecary.

"I have poisons like that. But it's illegal for me to sell you any. The penalty is death."

"Look at you." Thomas gestured to the gaunt man. "So poor and weak, and still so afraid to die? The world is not your friend, and neither is the law. Break the law and take my money."

The apothecary grunted, going inside his shop before re-emerging a few minutes later. This time a small vile of purple liquid.

"I agree to your terms because I am poor, and not because I want to."

"And I pay you," Thomas replied, "because you are poor. Not because you want me to buy this."

"Even if you were as strong as twenty men, this would kill you immediately," the apothecary said, handing Thomas the poison.

"I'll take this medicine, not a poison, to Y/N's grave, where I must use it." Thomas decided, pocketing the poison.

•••

"Friar Mulligan!"

"Friar Laurens? Is that you?" Mulligan replied. "Welcome back. What does Thomas say? Or has he written down his response?"

"I was visiting another Friar who was working with the sick. The city officials suspected we may have contracted the plague, so we were kept quarantined."

"Then who took my letter to Thomas?"

"I was unable to send it. Here," Laurens handed the letter to Mulligan.

Mulligan's eyes widened. "This was not merely a greeting, this letter contained important information! Laurens, go retrieve a crow bar for me, I must help Y/N escape from her tomb."

•••

"Give me that torch and those flowers, Peggy. Hide under those trees there, and whistle if anyone is coming. Do as I tell you. Go." Count Alexander commanded.

Peggy did as she was told, muttering under her breath, "I'm almost afraid to stand alone here in the graveyard, but I'll take that risk."

Alexander entered Y/N's tomb, his breath catching as he saw her laying lifeless. All the color had drained from her face, and her hand was cold when he reached out to take it.

"My darling, I bring you flowers. And I'll water them every night, but if I fail... I will water your flowers with my tears."

Alexander was interrupted when he heard Peggy whistling outside. "Who is here at this time of night? Who has come to ruin my rituals of love? Whoever they are, they brought a torch. I must hide."

Alexander hid in the darkness, and Thomas and Sally entered mere moments later.

"Give me the crow bar and the torch, Sally. And take this letter to Friar Mulligan in the morning," Thomas said. "Now, swear on your life, no matter what you see or hear, you must stay away from the tomb. I've come to see my wife one last time. If you interrupt me, I promise that I'll tear you limb from limb. My plans tonight are more wild and savage than the raging sea."

"I promise I'll go, sir."

"Thank you, Sally. Take this." He handed her a pouch of coins and sent her on her way.

Alexander watched all of this happen, piecing together what he assumed must be happening.

"It's that awful Jefferson. The one who was banished. He's the one who murdered Y/N's cousin, and it was out of grief for him that my love has died. Now he has come to desecrate the bodies of those in this tomb!"

Standing from where he was hidden, Alexander revealed himself to Thomas.

"Jefferson, you villain! Can you take revenge on dead bodies? Come with me, you must die."

"I must indeed." Jefferson agreed. "I've not come to fight with you, Hamilton. Leave this place, don't make me kill you as well as myself."

"I refuse your request. I'm arresting you."

Thomas drew his sword pointing it at Hamilton. "I didn't want to do this, Alexander."

Alexander only responded with a grunt, drawing his own sword. Both men took their stances. The tomb was filled with the sound of metal on metal.