CHAPTER 11

JACQUELINE SAT ON THE BED, a towel wrapped tightly around herself. Her wet hair clung to her neck and face, reminding her that she was no longer in the tub. She didn't know what would've happened if Steve didn't pull her back.

Steve sat in front of her, gripping her hand and stroking the back of it with his thumb, "You don't have to-"

"Yes, I do." Jacq interrupted, "That's the whole point." She pulled her hand away and put her wet hair into a bun high on her head, "Let's do this."

The smaller girl began walking out of the room but Steve pulled her back, "Jacq, it's ok-"

"No, Steve!" She pulled her arm away, "I'm done being weak. I have a tragic back story, ok, but so do the rest of you. So do most of the agents in this building." Jacq took off her bracelets before grabbing the mug of hot chocolate on the table and freezing it completely, "I'm ready." 

"Good." They turned to see Director Fury walking into the room, "Then we can begin." He set a file on the table,

"What is that?" Steve asked as Jacqueline walked over and opened the folder,

"The Avengers Initiative?" She questioned, reading the words on the first page as Steve stepped up behind her, reading over her shoulder,

"You're not the only ones out there." Fury stated, "Read up on it." He told them before leaving the room.

Jacqueline stayed up the rest of the night, reading the file. She read about Natasha Romanoff, Clint Barton, Bruce Banner, Ananya Khatri, and there was even stuff about herself and Steve.

SHIELD wanted all of them to come together to fight a bigger threat.

 She sat on Steve's couch until she fell asleep at 2 a.m. She woke up a few hours later and realized Steve was no longer in the apartment.

She knew where he was. When he got stressed or couldn't sleep, he would go to the same boxing gym on 11th street.

Jacq grabbed a sweatshirt and put on her slippers before walking down the street to the old boxing gym. She quietly entered and immediately heard the sound of a fist hitting sandbag. Jacqueline found Steve in his sweatpants and white t-shirt, his knuckles wrapped in tape as he continuously punched the punching bag harder and harder before knocking it off its hook and splitting open.

She spoke up as he grabbed a new one, "You know, we were always focused on my past and maybe not enough on yours."

"I was a soldier in World War 2 before getting stuck in the ice for 70 years." Steve stopped and turned to her, "There's nothing to my past."

Jacqueline shook her head, "That's not true. You were more than just a soldier, Steve. You had people and you were suddenly ripped away from them. It's bound to come with some mental scarring."

"I just... need time." Steve stated before continuing to hit the punching bag.

Jacqueline nodded and placed the file on top of his bag, "Read the file. You want to help people, Steve, and this is your chance." She walked over and placed a hand on his bicep, making him pause, "Don't stay up too long. Even a super soldier needs his sleep." She placed a gentle kiss on his cheek before leaving the gym.

As she made her way back to the apartment, Jacqueline's phone buzzed, alerting her that she got a text.

'ASSEMBLE'