CHAPTER 29

JACQUELINE TOOK SOME PAINKILLERS THAT THE DOCTOR GAVE HER BEFORE SETTING OFF TO FIND STEVE

She decided to check her room first but he wasn't there, so she thought he must still be talking to Director Fury.

Jacq took the elevator up to Fury's office. She stood outside, not wanting to interrupt. She could hear them speaking and took a step closer to the door to listen,

"She's your mission, remember that, Captain." Fury stated and Jacq's eyes widened,

Thoughts began swirling through her head. She was his mission. After all this time, she was his mission. Nothing more.

Jacqueline began to panic and quickly left before they caught her.

She went back into her room and paced. Has Steve been pretending all this time? Taking advantage of her vulnerability in order to get her to control herself. To make her depend on him?

So if she were to turn on them, on SHIELD, she couldn't. Because she's 100 percent dependent on Steve, and she'd do anything for him.

In frustration, Jacqueline ripped off her bracelets and threw them at the wall.

She wanted to cry, but wouldn't allow herself to.

She's done enough crying.

Jacqueline quickly left the room and went into the busy streets of Washington DC. She stuffed her hands into her jacket pockets and wandered the sidewalks.

She soon came across one of her favourite cafes and went inside. She ordered a hot chocolate and sat down at a booth once she had paid and received her drink.

Jacqueline stared out of the window next to her. She watched the people walk by, wondering if they were dealing with any crisis' of their own.

She heard the door open behind her and someone sat down across from her, "Good morning, Miss Braden."

She stared at the man. His expensive suit made him stand out amongst the small cafe. He had cold, dead eyes behind a pair of glasses.

Jacq's eyebrows furrowed, "Who-"

"Am I? Alexander Pierce."

"Pierce? You mean the World Security Council Secretary?" Jacq questioned and the older man smiled, but it didn't bring any light to his eyes.

"Yes. Aren't you supposed to be at the Triskelion for training?" Pierce asked,

"It's my day off." Jacqueline responded, taking a sip of her drink.

Pierce chuckled and nodded, "I'm on my way there, why don't you finish up and we can head back over."

She nodded hesitantly. She opened her mouth, not sure if it was her place to speak,"Mr. Pierce, can I ask you a question?"

"Go ahead." He smiled,

"Does SHIELD consider me dangerous? Like, if they didn't send Steve in to bring me in, would I have been killed?" Jacq asked,

Pierce nodded, "You threatened the lives of 5,000 people, Miss Braden. If you wouldn't have come with us, other measures would have been taken."

"I understand." Jacq replied, her heart going cold, "I need to go to the restroom. Excuse me." She said before standing up and going to the cafe's bathroom.

She took some deep breaths and looked at herself in the bathroom mirror. Ice began to freeze around the edges and she tried to calm herself down.

Would Steve had killed her? If she wasn't willing to go with him?

The ice edged closer to the middle of the mirror and Jacqueline whipped out her phone to call Steve. She needed to hear his voice,

"Jacq? Where are you? I went to the medical station and they said you left already. You should've waited for me." Steve scolded when he answered,

Jacq sniffed, "I know. I decided to... take a stroll in the park." She responded, her voice shaking,

"Are you okay? What's wrong?" He questioned,

"Nothing." She responded, noticing the ice melting around the bathroom and taking a deep breath, "It's a bit cold out here, that's all."

"Are you wearing your bracelets?" Steve asked,

"Yeah." She answered, knowing that she left them in her bedroom after her shower, "I'll see you in a bit? Back in my room?"

She heard Steve sighed, "Yeah, sure. There's something I need to talk to you about."

Her heart dropped, "Oh, okay. See you in ten." She quickly hung up.

Jacqueline let out a breath she was holding and left the bathroom.

Maybe staying at SHIELD is the best thing for her. They can teach her control, something she can't learn by herself.

She walked up to Pierce and grabbed her coat, "I'm ready."

"Don't you want to finish your drink first?" Pierce asked,

She nodded and reached down to grab the mug. Jacq gulped down the rest of the hot liquid, needing to feel the heat brewing inside her body. She set down her mug and turned to him, "Ready."

Pierce nodded before standing and the two exited the cafe. Jacqueline began to feel light headed and drowsy, "Hold up, I don't feel so good."

She reached out to steady herself on the building, but Pierce grabbed her,

A black car pulled up in front of them and black filled her vision,

"Hail Hydra."