Chapter 33 - The Girl Who Knew Too Much

Start from the beginning

Pairing my white, slightly oversized, short sleeved Henley with maroon leggings and my leather jacket, I finishing with my trusty converse and check my reflection in the mirror to fix my hair into a top knot messy bun ultra comfy today because last night was emotionally exhausting

I get to school and bump into Stiles in the hall on my way to English "Shit sorry, oh Adds– hey..."

I lift my bag higher onto my shoulder smiling softly as we start walking again "Hey– how are you holding up?"

He looks over to me and sighs as he rubs a hand over his mouth "I just still can't believe Tara was a fucking sacrifice, she's– I've known her forever."

Guilt slams through me and I quickly drop my eyes to the ground "I know. I'm sorry, I wouldn't have called you if I knew it was her– you didn't need to see–"

He stops our steps, setting an arm out to rest his hand on my shoulder "Yea no, you call me day or night for anything. Literally," I look up at him and he continues "I don't care who it ends up being, don't ever apologize because we're in this together."

I scrunch my nose up, feeling the ever present sign of tears on the horizon as I nod and smile softly, looking to our left after everything we've been through these last few weeks, it's been a tad bit emotional

"Hey," I feel him place his hand under my chin and turn my head gently to face him again. When I move my eyes up to connect our gazes he softens his face and licks his lips quickly– which brings my attention down to them before I realize that I'm staring and I snap my eyes back up to his while he whispers "I mean it Adds, the day I'm not there for you– is the day I'm dead."

⋇⋆⋇⋆✦⋇⋆⋇⋆✦⋇⋆⋇⋆✦⋆⋇⋆⋇⋆✦⋆⋇⋆⋇⋆✦⋆⋇⋆⋇⋆✦⋆⋇⋆⋇

Sitting behind Stiles with Lydia and Scott sitting to our left in English, Ms. Blake begins class "Idioms, analogies, metaphors, and similes, all tools the writer uses to tell their story," she walks up our aisle and stops with her back next to me "Lydia, I wasn't aware you had so many hidden talents."

Lydia looks up from another one of her tree drawings and smirks "You and every guy I've ever dated" and that's how we make class awkward

I snort into my hand as Ms. Blake stutters and continues her move up the aisle "Oh, um, well, that was an idiom, by the way. Idioms are something of a secret to the people who know the language or the culture" she shares a look with Scott and moves her head towards Stiles and I with those words are we supposed to be catching a hidden meaning here?

She shakes her head looking behind us as she continues "They're phrases that only make sense if you know key words. Saying 'jump the gun' is meaningful only if you know about the starting gun in a race, or a phrase like 'seeing the whole board'."

"Like chess" Stiles mutters earning a bright smile from Ms. Blake as she turns back towards him "That's right, Stiles. Do you play?"

"Uh, no– my father does" he states as he shifts back in his seat.

She nods and steps around the front aisle heading to the other side of the class "Now, when does an idiom become a cliche?"

Scott waits for her to be out of earshot before he leans in the aisle towards Stiles and I "I think I can get to Ethan– I'm pretty sure I can make him talk."