Chapter 32 - Visionary

Start from the beginning

I share a hesitant to believe that look with Stiles as Peter continues "I kept telling him not to do it. Every day the more he thought about it, the more convinced he became. You know teenagers. I bet he even blames me. He's probably convinced himself the whole thing was my idea." Because it probably was

"He overheard his mother, who was our pack's Alpha at the time, talk about the other packs of Alphas that were in the area. He knew she would never turn Paige, he felt he was running out of time and the packs would soon be leaving. Derek justified that it was just a little bite, that she would never get sick again. She'd stay younger, more beautiful, and would always be able to protect herself. He always told me how the bite was a gift."

Stiles drops his hands forward changing the subject "Wait– how do the Druids fit in to everything happening right now?"

"The druids are important advisors to the packs," Peter answers and Cora elaborates "They keep us connected to humanity. But they're a secret even in the pack. Sometimes only the Alpha knows who the emissary is. Derek and I had no idea about Deaton."

Peter makes a noise and tilts his head to the side "Or his sister, Morrell."

Stiles scoffs, connecting his eyes with mine before I turn to Peter confirming "She's an emissary too?"

Peter nods like it's obvious "For the Alpha pack."

Stiles fails at holding back his freak out with this new information "Our guidance counselor? Why the hell don't you people tell me any of this stuff, huh? I shared some really intimate details with her" He mumbles the last bit earning a head tilt from Cora "And did she give you good advice?"

"Actually, yeah" Stiles concedes and I smile softly to the table as Peter continues "That's what they do. That's what Deaton used to do for Talia. Deaton warned Talia and Deucalion that meeting with Gerard would never go in their favor to reach a solution on the threat Ennis made with that marking. I think that's why Derek chose him."

I lift my head making a noise in the back of my throat as I turn to Peter "Ennis? Why would he choose him?"

Peter shrugs looking to me "Why not? Ennis needed a new member for his pack. Paige was young and strong. Doing a favor for Derek meant Ennis would be in good with Talia. Back then, everybody wanted to be in good with her."

Cora shares a look with me before looking to her uncle "He doesn't remember it was Ennis, does he?"

Peter shakes his head as he confirms "If he does, he keeps it to himself."

Stiles shifts to lean back in his chair as he turns to look at Peter "So then what happened? Did he turn her?"

Peter looks off to the side as he digresses "Almost. Derek came at Ennis– a fifteen year old boy against a giant. There was no reason for him to fight– she'd already been bitten."

Cora furrows her brows "So did she turn?" her words snap him out of the far off look in his eyes as he lifts his head towards her nodding once "She should have. Most of the time, the bite takes– most of the time."

Stiles crosses his arms over his chest and looks over to Peter again "When you offered it to me, you said, 'if it doesn't kill you'–"

"If–" He nods towards Stiles before he continues "Derek brought her to the old cellar on our family's property. There was an old tree that had its roots deep into the cellar. He leaned back against the roots with her in his arms and kept asking what was wrong with her. He knew the answer, though. It didn't matter that she was young and strong. Some people just aren't made for this– but she fought. She struggled desperately, trying to survive."