Chapter 23 - Battlefield

Start from the beginning

I close my locker, immediately jumping back when I see Stiles just casually leaning against the locker next to mine "Holy sweet jesus, why didn't you say anything?"

He just shrugs and fidgets with his lacrosse stick "A lot on my mind I guess, just wanted to see how you were holding up" he raises his brows and nods towards my jean covered leg.

I nervously tuck a piece of hair behind my ear as I answer him "I've had more stitches put on me in these last few months than the entirety of my life, but it's healing alright I guess– mom has to clean it and bandage it for me because of where it's at, but luckily it wasn't very deep."

He nods and goes back to tying the knot on his net "Has she said anything since–"

I shake my head and lean my back on the lockers next to him "No which makes everything just ten times worse that she won't even ask questions– Scott's dying to talk to her, or make her see that he's still him," I sigh and close my eyes "I don't really know what he's hoping to accomplish by talking to her– I think she just needs some time though."

He chuckles, causing me to open my eyes and see him turn towards me, leaning one shoulder on the lockers "It has to be pretty fucking end of the world level freak out to see your son all wolfed out."

I offer my own chuckle "After watching him be shot AND then taunted by a swamp monster wanna be– damn we're lucky she's even still sharing a house with us" he smiles and makes a noise of agreement at my statement before letting out a sigh.

Resting the back of my head on the locker I tilt my head to the side towards him "How're you holding up?"

He shakes his head and looks to the floor quickly "I'm fine"

At my raised brow response he makes a noise in his throat and continues "Yeah, well aside from the not sleeping, and the constant, overwhelming, crushing fear that something terrible is about to happen."

"Hyper-vigilance" I offer with a nod, before facing forward and continuing "The persistent feeling of being under threat."

He sighs and leans his back onto the lockers again, facing forward with me and clearing his throat "But it's not just a feeling, though. It's– it's like it's a panic attack. You know, like I can't even breathe."

"Like you're drowning?" I mumble softly and keeping his head on the lockers he looks over at me whispering "Yeah."

My lip twitches with a sad smile and I turn my head towards him as he clears his throat "What if this gets worse Adds, what if it's agony now and then– then it's just hell later on?"

I bring my notebook up against my chest and cross my arms over it, shrugging a shoulder "Well we can always think about something Winston Churchill said 'If you're going through hell– keep going'."

He chuckles and offers a lopsided smile before he stands up from his lean "See, there was a reason I felt I needed to come to you first– I don't feel the need to go to the guidance counselor anymore."

Offering his elbow out towards me I chuckle, pushing my back off the locker and link my arm with his as we walk out to the parking lot "I mean I'm not very wise, so she may be able to help more."

He just shakes his head continuing to look forward "You're the wisest person I know, Addy McCall."

⋇⋆⋇⋆✦⋇⋆⋇⋆✦⋇⋆⋇⋆✦⋆⋇⋆⋇⋆✦⋆⋇⋆⋇⋆✦⋆⋇⋆⋇⋆✦⋆⋇⋆⋇

Walking up the stairs I hear the voice of none other than Gerard coming from Scott's room. I quicken my steps reaching the door and gasp at what I see before me.