66. On Faith

Tears were a show of weakness, short and simple.
People let their tears fall when they were happy, angry or sad. And that meant they weren't strong enough to Will their minds to hold back tears.
They had no control.
Not like she had.

Sitting tight-lipped on her little chair in her room at the Manor, Lily listened to Edgar's little rant.
'I don't think this plan is plausible at all. It feels like she's leaving us out here to dry.'

'The mistress would do no such thing.' Lily immediately said in the Mistress' defense.
'She's treated us like family, she wouldn't leave us. If she said she'll help us she'll help us. We just have to have faith in her.'

'Lily, I love your loyalty and faith in her, I do. But what she's asking us... to kidnap the boy and kill him. That would put us on the Tchkovsky's dead on on the Tchkovsky's radar. We'll be dead before we reach Cranston.'

Had he lost his mind? How could he even talk about disobeying orders now, after what he knew the mistress was capable of doing to them. Had he not learnt his lesson?
'So what do you want us to do?'

'First we get out of here, abandon our post. Harris is dead for all we know we no longer have a reason to stay. And then we can come up with a better plan to keep Nicholae off her back. Hell, she can do it herself.'

Lily moved away from him, she didn't like what he was saying at all.
He was asking her to abandon ship and abandon her mistress. The woman who'd shown her how to survive in her grief and take matters into her own hands.

'I can't do what you're asking Eddie. She's the mother I never had. I'm not leaving her in the hands of that psychotic killer.'

Edgar came to her and took her hands in his, daring to kiss them.

'I'm not saying that. Calm down.'
He hugged her not knowing what else to say to dissuade her from this path.

'Oh, please. Please help me. I can't do this alone Edgar.'
She listened to his racing heart. Half her mind told her he would say no. Since he was so bent against this idea. But the other part of her that had an idea just what they meant to each other knew he wouldn't abandon her.

'Of course I'll help.' He sighed. He would have to be the one to protect her because it was obvious to him now that the Mistress wouldn't.

Edgar left to get his things.
The whole time he kicked himself for failing at convincing Lily to abandon ship.
The thing was, had it been any other person or any other time, he would have gladly gone along with this suicide mission.
But this wasn't such a time and it was with Lily and that made all the difference in the world.
He could only pray now that the Mistress would truly come to their aid.

As it would seem, luck was on their side. Lord Nicholae was gone so they wouldn't have to deal with a lot obstacles. Of course the thought was halted when he saw Fauna with Rex and Niko.

'Hey, Edgar.' Niko skipper his way with his best friend in tow.

'Good morning Niko.'
He smiled a little in Fauna's direction.
'Well, do you fancy a morning drive?'

'Sorry. But not today. Lord Niko.'
Fauna pated the seat beside her.
At least he knew Niko would have wanted to go with him. He sulked on his way back.
'But Fauna, you can come with us. Edgar drives really fast, it's fun.'
She wouldn't budge, and Thank the heavens.
Should Lily ever be right that Fauna was who they thought she was, it wouldn't complicate things a whole lot more.

'I'm on my way to the kitchen, would you like some tea or something?'
He quickly fashioned another way to get Niko alone.

He came back with three tall glasses of lemonade. One with a drizzle of blood for Niko and a dash of something extra for to make sure the plan still ran its course.