sixteen

CHAPTER SIXTEEN
admitting

TWO WEEKS HAD PAST. Besides one incident the Tuesday after, where Marcus has flatlined for four minutes, nothing had changed. Marcus remained in a coma, Rosie and Carter were back at school. Colin would stay at the hospital, either working or spending the night with his son. Rosie and Carter would visit daily but they were never allowed to stay long. Colin didn't think that his two other kids should suffer by seeing Marcus like this.

The police had no leads, Spider-Man had updated Carter on a few details but basically, there was nothing. Marcus was just working at the wrong time. Louis had sworn that nothing major besides a bit of cash had been stolen, the man had nothing special to his name. His own home was basic, and his most prized possession, a diamond ring worth up to one hundred thousand was still at his home and safe.

Spider-Man had spoken to Louis, trying to make sure he was hiding nothing from the police but nothing. The ice cream shop was just an innocent place. A couple of idiots saw the easy cash and decided almost killing a fifteen-year-old boy was worth it. The police assumed that the perpetrators were long gone.

"Carter?" Peter stood at the boy's locker. Quinn, Zach, and Ky all stared at the sophomore boy, a smile forming on their face. Zach nudged Carter, bringing the boy back from his thoughts. The three friends knew that Carter had spent about eight nights at Peter's place since the incident, four of them at the hospital, one at Ky's place, and only one at his own home. "Uh, I accidentally grabbed your textbook instead of mine."

Carter looked at the chemistry book and smiled. "Thanks, yours is still in your room, I didn't grab it."

"It's fine, I just didn't want to carry the wrong book around all day," Peter chuckled. Carter nodded, taking the book from the younger boy.

"Hi, Peter!" Quinn spoke up. The blonde had a giant smile on her face. Other than the one soccer game, she and Peter had barely spoken. She knew only what Carter told her, and the last she really saw of him, he was making heart eyes at a girl named Michelle.

"Hey, Quinn, hey," Peter was surprised. He rarely spoke to Carter's friends, they always just stared at him and said little when Peter would come to talk to Carter. "How's it going?"

"Stressed, you?"

"Yeah, about the same," Peter nervously laughed. He waved at Michelle as she walked down the hallway, the quiet girl waved back but made no effort to say anything. She just went back to listening to her music.

"Girlfriend?" Zach asked Carter rolled his eyes. He knew what they were trying to figure out. If Peter was straight or not.

"M.J?" Peter furrowed his eyes brow. "No, she's just a friend. She's not really my type, I mean she's pretty it's just, I'm not into her!" he quickly rushed out.

"Oh. So you do like someone though?" Ky asked, raising an eyebrow. Peter looked between the three juniors who all looked at him and then at Carter. Peter barely caught on but once he saw Carter paying closer attention he slowly nodded.

"Who?" Quinn asked, her eyes widening.

"I don't think you know her," Peter lied. He didn't want to say Carter and risk getting laughed at or outed. Plus admitting his feelings in front of his crush sounded like a nightmare. He had no plan. He needed a plan if he was ever going to tell Carter.