fifteen

CHAPTER FIFTEEN
comforting carter 

CARTER LAID ON PETER'S BED, his head resting on Peter's legs. He had yet to tell Peter what had happened, all Peter knew was that Carter was upset. Peter didn't know what to do with his hands, he ended up using his one hand to run his fingers through Carter's hair. Peter didn't know if he should speak or not. When he had first asked what was wrong, Carter just let out a heavy sigh and didn't respond.

"Carter?" Peter whispered he wasn't sure why he whispered. He knew the boy was awake, his eyes wide open. "Are you okay?" Again he got no response, he did get a groan when he stopped playing with his hair.

"Don't stop that, it felt good," Carter mumbled, causing Peter to continue, seeing a weak smile forming on the boy's face. "You don't mind if I stay the night, do you?"

"No, I mean, I don't think I could fall asleep sitting up though," Peter laughed, hoping his comment would lighten the mood but it didn't. Peter kept running his fingers through Carter's hair. "Please talk to me."

"I'm tired, Pete," Carter moved over, letting Peter lay down. "I'll tell you later," the two boys were facing each other, Peter was clearly upset but not knowing but Carter didn't really care. He was just tired but he didn't want to sleep. He didn't want to close his eyes, he stared at Peter, neither of them looking away. "I met Spider-Man again."

"And how was that?" Peter smiled.

"Weird," Carter admitted. He went silent for a second. Carter started to remember how he stopped Spider-Man from protecting the city. How Spider-Man purposefully stopped going around Queens to stop to him. It was his fault. If Spider-Man did want he said he was supposed to do, Marcus would have been fine. The man could stop a bus with his hands, could stop an elevator filled with people and save them all, he could rescue a block from total destruction. "It's my fault, Peter."

"What is?"

"If I hadn't continued to talk with Spider-Man everything would have been okay," Carter whispered, his eyes glossing over again. "I'm so fucking stupid."

"Carter—"

"No, Peter, it is my fault!" Carter cut him off, Peter had no idea what was happening. "It's my fault, Mark is gonna die and it's my fault!"

"What happened to Mark?" Peter's voice was louder than he intended but it cut Carter out of his trance. "Carter, tell me, please."

"He was shot," Carter's gaze looked blank, he should such little emotion Peter thought Carter was the one who was shot. "I distracted Spider-Man, if I hadn't stopped to talk to him I would have stopped them or he could have stopped them."

"What do you remember?" Peter suddenly got all serious, his eyes darkened. "Carter this is important. What happened?"

"I walked into the shop, and two guys were running out as I walked out, I didn't see anything about them," Peter looked annoyed that Carter didn't see anything. God Carter felt so useless. He felt guilty to let Peter down, although he didn't know why Peter was so hurt. Maybe part of him wanted to somehow make Carter feel better. Carter had no idea.

"At what time?"

"Just before it closes, close to ten," Carter guessed. "I was supposed to be there before but I got sidetracked talking to Spider-Man, on the street and then headed over," Carter explained. Trying not to think about how Spider-Man almost was holding him again.