chapter 8- teenage blues

Comincia dall'inizio

We stay silent for a bit. This is getting awkward real fast.
"I like your boots. Very 90s."
Mary smiles. "You do? Thank you! I really like your leather jacket." She slightly tugs on my collar.
"Thank you, I got it at Savers for like 5 bucks."
"I got my entire outfit from Savors. Are you a thrifting enjoyer?"
"Not really, I just buy whatever fits me."
"I can tell, your outfit is all over the place." Mary giggles. She's got a nice laugh.
"Then how about you pick out an outfit for me? Style me up."
"I'll get you a new wardrobe and we'll do one of those movie montages on TikTok. A modern twist to chick-flicks from the 2000s."
"I hate chick-flicks, but I'm willing to become TikTok famous. Please tell me you have a following."
"If 3 followers count as a following then yeah, you're talking to an A-list celebrity."
"Can I be honest with you? I thought you were going to be more awkward than you are."
Mary blushes. "Is that so? I get that a lot."
"Yesterday you were kinda-"
"Awkward."
"It's just that the rest of our team told us that you were socially awkward and kinda stuck. It clouded my judgement of you."
"I get it. You must think I'm not like the other girls at this school but once you get to know me I'm a lot more chill."
"I believe you. The majority of people aren't their true selves with strangers."
Mary brushes her skirt. "It was nice talking to you. I just came over to say hi. My friend is nowhere to be found. I'll um, get out of your hair-"
"No! I mean, you can stay if you want."
"You want me to stay?" Mary smiles. She smiles a lot.
"I like talking to you. I'm sorry if I said something that offended you."
"Oh, you didn't offend me! I'm just...never mind."
"Let's change the subject. The other day I was talking to someone about wanting a show choir at this school. What are your thoughts on that? I heard you sing with Tyler the other day and you've got a nice voice to be honest."
"Oh, about that, Tyler and I convinced the principle to help fund one. She said yes."
"Wait what? You managed to convince her?"
"Tyler did all the talking, I just gave him the script to memorize."
"That's awesome! I'm proud of you dude."
"I'm expecting you to audition then."
"When are auditions?"
"Today after school."

My eyes go wide. "Today after school? How are we supposed to have a song ready by this afternoon-"
"That's what I said! My father helped contact someone to be our teacher. The principle was the one who picked the date."
"Where do we sign up?"
"The sign up sheet is in the office."
"Like anyone is going to sign up, it's too late."
"Tyler and I posted the news on our social media. Do you want to see my post?"
"Sure."

"Did you take that photo?""Yeah, I did

"Yeah, I did."
"Nice shot! What camera did you use?"
"My iPhone 6. All I did was play around with some filters."
"It's a pretty sweet photo. Do you think people are actually going to sign up?"
"I checked the sign up sheet before I spoke to you. 6 people have signed up."
"Make that 7. I'm singing up right now-"
"I'll go with you!" Mary shoots up.
"Oh-"
"Unless you don't want me to-"
"No, you can come! I'm going to spend 6th and 7th period trying to find something to sing. Do you have your song picked out?"
"I'm singing Ultraviolence by Lana Del Rey."
"My sister loves Lana Del Rey! She has a big poster of Lana Del Rey in her bedroom."
"I have her signature on my Honeymoon CD case. I was in Hollywood for the summer and I ran into her."
"Oh wow, that's cool. Fuck, I've got no idea what song I'm going to sing."
"Narrow down your top 5 favorite artists. Then narrow it down to your most listened songs by them. Sing each song and see what fits best."
"That's smart, I'll do that."
"Let's go sign you up!"
"Let's do it!"