TWO

2: ❝ PROJECT INSIGHT ❞

MEREDITH COULD TELL STEVE WAS ANGRY as they were heading up into the elevator to Nick Fury's office. She rubbed his arm and smiled softly at him, and he returned it back. He knew she was trying her best to calm him down but he was do furious about Nick lying to him. As they got off the elevator they walked straight to the double doors. Meredith wasn't mad she was just disappointed, she thought at one point Nick Fury had somewhat trusted her. Like the relationship he had with Maria Hill. She had been in longer and Nick practically raised her.

As Steve pushed the double doors he started speed walking in. "You just can't stop yourself from lying, can you?"

"I didn't lie. Agent Romanoff had a different mission than the both of yours." Meredith rolled her eyes as she knew it was still another form of lying. It was just keeping the truth. "Which you didn't feel obligated to share." He was facing out towards the window as Meredith had her brow raised up "I'm not obliged to do anything." Meredith sighed and crossed her arms over her chest. "Those hostages could have died, Nick."

That is when Fury finally turned around and faced Steve and Meredith. "I sent the greatest soldier in history and one of the greatest agents in history to make sure it didn't happen." Meredith didn't buy it, if he really believed that he would have given her the mission or at least told her about it. "Soldiers trust each other. That's what makes it an army. Not a bunch of guys running around shooting guns."

Nick stood up from his seat as Meredith knew exactly what he was about to say. "Last time I trusted someone, I lost an eye." Meredith rolled her eyes and knew exactly the thing that did that, and it wasn't a person it was an animal at least he told her that story. "Look, I didn't want you both doing anything you weren't comfortable with.  Agent Romanoff is comfortable with everything."

"I can't lead a mission when the people I'm leading have missions of their own." Nick rolled his eyes, "It's called compartmentalizations. Nobody spills the secrets, because nobody knows them all."

"Except you. It seems like you didn't want to involve us in it. Especially, me." They both turned their attention to Meredith. "You practically raised me and trained me to be one of the best and you didn't tell me anything or even have me do it. You know I would have. I'm not mad I'm just upset you didn't tell the closest thing you call a daughter or at least I thought I was your daughter." Nick sighed as Steve gave her a sad look and Fury looked down and went to look back at Steve. "I'm sorry Meredith but you're both wrong about me. I do share and I do care about the closest thing to me. I'm nice like that."

Meredith scoffed as Fury was both giving them intense looks. Nick started walking to the elevator as Steve and Meredith followed. "Insight Bay," As Nick walked through Steve and Meredith walked in and the computer went off. "Captain Rogers and Meredith Curry do not have clearance for Project Insight." Steve and her both looked at each other as obliviously this was something he didn't walk people to know about. "Director override. Fury, Nicholas J."