SIX

6:❝ HYDRA ❞

6:❝ HYDRA

ARNIM ZOLA. MEREDITH HAD HEARD THAT name before. Steve had confided in her about the past and this mad scientist who worked with the red skull. It was fuzzy since it was a while since he told her everything but she never liked anyone who had done Steve wrong. She wanted to break the screen but she knew that they needed him for information. Meredith just gripped her hands and chewed on her bottom lip to keep any comments coming out of her mouth.

"Arnim Zola was a scientist who worked for the red skull. He's been dead for years." Meredith scoffed obviously he's not dead. "First correction, I am Swiss. Second, look around you. I have never been more alive." Meredith looked around at the huge computer. This is what he called living? Someone could just turn him off and on. What happens when the power gets cut? That's it. "In 1972, I received a terminal diagnosis. Science could not save my body. My mind, however, that was worth saving, on 200,000 feet of databanks. You are standing in my brain."

That sent a shiver down Meredith's spine. It made her feel gross and disgusting. "How did you get here?" Steve was not happy about this at all. Meredith glanced at him and could see that he was on edge. "Invited." Meredith quirked a brow. "It was operation Paperclip after World War II. S.H.I.E.L.D. recruited german scientists with strategic value." Meredith had never heard of such a thing. He obviously did it for his own personal gain.

"They thought I could help their cause. I also helped my own." Meredith shakes her head softly, see she already knew. Basic villain stuff. "HYDRA died with the red skull." Meredith could tell this was not going to go in a good direction. "Cut off one head, two more take it's place." That's when the screen changed to the HYDRA symbol it was very threatening. "Prove it." There were clicking sounds as the screens around the main monitor were changing. "Accessing archive. HYDRA was founded on the belief that humanity could not be trusted with its own freedom."

Steve and Meredith went closer to the screen that was playing images and videos as they interlocked their fingers together. "What we did not realize was that if you try to take that freedom, they resist. The war taught us much. Humanity needed to surrender its freedom willingly. After the war, S.H.I.E.L.D. was founded, and I was recruited. The new HYDRA grew." Meredith was shocked, a new HYDRA? "A beautiful parasite inside S.H.I.E.L.D. For 70 years, HYDRA has been secretly feeding crisis, reaping war, and when history did not cooperate, history was changed."

Meredith couldn't fathom it. It was impossible how could a secret organization be growing under S.H.I.E.L.D. for so many years. "That's impossible. S.H.I.E.L.D. would have stopped you." That's when a newsletter appeared that made Meredith gasp. "Accidents will happen." That's when an article of Howard Stark's death appeared on the screen. As well as Nick Fury. When Meredith saw his face she turned away. "HYDRA was created a world so chaotic that humanity is finally ready to sacrifice its freedom to gain its security. Once a purification process is complete, HYDRA's new world order will arise."