9. Unexpected

The night arrived before Serena knew it. Sirius was sitting in the floor, cross-legged, playing with Harry when she came into the living room after getting ready. She was so nervous that her whole body felt like it was shaking. She had her wand tucked into a holster on the belt fastened around the dress she wore, green and gold in color, and she had a dagger fastened around her leg underneath the dress. She wanted to be prepared for anything. Severus might not hurt her, but that didn't mean somebody wouldn't show up that wanted to. A sad smile spread across her lips. Her mother had taught her to always be prepared for anything. She watched Sirius and Harry a moment longer, before clearing her throat to alert them to her presence. The noise didn't bother Harry. He continued to play with the toys Sirius had brought for him. It was only Sirius who looked up at her and smiled.

"You look beautiful," he complimented.

Serena blushed. "Thank you."

"He doesn't deserve you."

She frowned at him. "Sirius-"

Before she could say anything else, he threw up his hands in surrender. "I know. I'm sorry. I don't like the guy and I probably never will. It was just my opinion."

"Okay then. Good." She laughed. "Blimey, I'm nervous."

"Do you have your wand?"

Serena showed it to him, both flattered and annoyed that he had asked in the first place. "And I have my dagger too."

Sirius grinned. "Good girl."

She rolled her eyes. "Do you or Harry need anything?"

Sirius patted Harry on the head. "No. We're great."

"Okay then." She placed her hand on the doorknob and opened the door. "I'll be back soon."

He winked at her and flashed her a small smile. "You better be."

She left and closed the door behind her. He stared at it for several seconds, his smile fading, worry starting to crease his forehead. It was like he had just watched his daughter leave on her first date, knowing the boy she was going to see was dangerous. He wanted to follow her, but he knew he couldn't. She would never forgive him if she found out. He couldn't risk that. She had been a good friend to him and him to her. He didn't want to do anything to upset their relationship. Especially now. All he could do was wait.

~ * ~

Serena had left her flat early enough that she could afford to walk the entire way if she needed to, but she decided to apparate instead. She needed time to think about what she was going to say to him and about what he might say to her. Her whole body felt weak like she could barely stand on her own. It was because she was nervous. She hated it. She hated the way Severus made her feel. She always had. She didn't like being vulnerable. That fear of vulnerability is what had kept her from telling him she loved him the very second she figured it out. She had regretted that decision ever since. Maybe if she had told him earlier, it would have affected his decision to study the dark arts. Maybe she could have changed his whole future. She thought about it often.

She pulled out the note and read it again. She couldn't believe that Severus had even remembered their 'place'. They had just happened upon it one weekend when everyone else had gone to Hogsmeade. Severus had wanted to get away from James and Sirius and their antics, as he called it, so they had taken a walk deep into the Forbidden Forest. Now that she thought about it, it had been stupid of them, but they were younger then. More naive. Danger wasn't something that they really concerned themselves with. They had no way of knowing that they had been just beyond the protection charms of Hogwarts.