5. Betrayal?

The knock on his office door was loud. He had just sat down and began a letter to the Ministry to explain what had happened. Severus had only been gone a few minutes. He wondered what had brought him back so quickly. It never even occurred to him that it could be someone else.

Maybe he forgot something, he thought. Letting out a long sigh, he said loudly, "Come in." The door flew open and he only half looked up, expecting Severus to glide in, busily scrawling his quill across the parchment paper in front of him. "Forget something?"

"Not particularly."

Dumbledore looked up. It wasn't Severus at all. Instead he was greeted by the face of Sirius Black. Remus Lupin came in behind him and closed the door. Dumbledore slowly rose to his feet. His wand was lying there on his desk, luckily within his reach, and he hurriedly clasped his hand over it. Remus saw this and stepped in front of Sirius as quick as lightning and raised his hands in the air to caution the old man.

"Albus, it's fine. Sirius didn't do it. He's innocent."

Dumbledore raised his eyebrow suspiciously. "Your proof?"

Remus took a deep breath then proceeded to tell Dumbledore what Sirius had told him, that he and Peter had switched places at the last minute as the Potter's secret-keeper. Dumbledore listened to every word without interruption, his expression unreadable. Sirius stood perfectly still, listening to ever word as well, making sure that his old friend left nothing out.

"And I believe him, Albus," Remus testified, concluding the story. "It makes perfect sense. Sirius has always been loyal to his friends, especially me and James."

He nodded in agreement. He had seen that loyalty for himself. That's why it had been so devastating to learn that Sirius may have been the one responsible for James and Lily's demise. "It does make sense," he said. "Peter was acting rather strangely at the last Order of the Phoenix meeting. He was ten times more nervous than usual. I should have known something was wrong."

"We all should have," Sirius spoke up.

Dumbledore stepped forward. "However, I would like to be sure that our young friend here is telling the truth." His eyes met Sirius's. "Would you indulge an old fool's trust issues and take some truth serum to ease his peace of mind?"

Sirius nodded. "After all you've done for us, of course I will."

He clapped his hands together. "Great. The two of you wait here and I shall return in a moment."

Remus and Sirius were silent until they heard the office door open and then close again. Then they both let out long sighs of relief. Both were glad to get that over with. They talked among themselves until Dumbledore returned a few minutes later, carrying a small dark-colored bottle of liquid. He beckoned Sirius over to the nearest chair and invited him to sit down. He did so and took the bottle of Veritaserum without objection. He uncorked it and turned it up, drinking about half, which was satisfactory to Dumbledore, and he gave the bottle back to him. Dumbledore sat it down on his desk. He glanced at Lupin, whose eyes were trained on Sirius. Dumbledore only asked him one question.

"Did you betray James and Lily Potter to Voldemort?"

Sirius looked him right in the eye when he answered. "No I did not."

Dumbledore smiled, breathing out slowly. "Good. That sets my mind at ease about that matter."

Remus frowned. "What else are you worried about?"

"The retaliation from the Death Eaters for one thing. When they all find out that Voldemort is dead. The Order will have to be diligent in stopping attacks on innocent people. Maybe even Muggles. It will be chaos for a while. The second thing that worries me is the fate of Harry Potter."