7. Payback

Severus Snape felt like he was running and he didn't dare stop until he got back to his home in Spinner's End. He burst through the front door and closed it behind him, leaning up against it for a moment to catch his breath. He had no idea that there was someone in there waiting for him, hidden partially by the darkness. Only when he walked over to the table and turned on the lamp did he see him. Severus's heart jumped in his chest.

"Lucius, what on Earth are you doing here? You nearly scared me to death!"

Lucius smirked. "My wife just came back home. She told me she was attacked. I came to get the boy. Where is he?"

Safe. Severus rolled his eyes, annoyed. "I don't know," he said flatly. "I was also attacked. The witch caught up to me."

"Serena?"

He nodded. Lucius rubbed his chin thoughtfully. He had never heard of her before. It surprised him.

"The way Narcissa described it," Lucius said, continuing to make small talk, "she seems like a formidable foe. One we can't afford to have around. When the Dark Lord returns-"

"He's dead, Lucius," Severus stated.

"I know the rumors. I've heard them. I don't believe them." Lucius flipped his long blonde hair over his shoulder. "A mere child defeating the greatest dark wizard of all time? No. That's rubbish."

Severus wanted to tell him that he knew for sure, that he had heard him scream, but he couldn't. No one could know he was near that house. "Maybe, but it seems to be the most popular theory."

Lucius began to wander around the living room of Severus's home, twisting his hands as he walked. He seemed nervous about something.

"Are you well, Lucius?"

He whirled around so fast that Severus placed his hand on the handle of his wand. He removed it quickly when he saw that Lucius was empty-handed.

"Of course I'm not! And I don't know how you can be so calm."

Severus frowned. "I'm not sure what you mean."

"What if Voldemort is gone? What if he is dead? There is no one powerful enough to take his place. No one willing to go up against Dumbledore and his army of do-gooders."

This was it. This was his chance. He needed to plant the seed, to make sure that his being at Hogwarts frequently wouldn't be viewed as treason if the Dark Lord should return. "I wouldn't worry about Dumbledore. I have already started a plan of attack on him."

Lucius raised his eyebrow. "You?"

"Yes," Severus answered. "Me. I fooled him into thinking that I've reformed, that I've changed. He believes me." He gazed at the floor. "And once the Dark Lord does return, he will have a man on the inside. I'll get as close to Dumbledore as he'll let me and then I'll crush him when the time is right."

"I like this plan, Severus." He headed for the fireplace. "I have to tell the others. We have some plans of our own."

Severus frowned. "And what are they?"

"We're going to kill that little brat as soon as we find him and Serena too. She's going to pay for injuring my wife."

Severus gulped. He wasn't going to let that happen. No matter what. "How bad is she?"

Lucius shrugged as if he was getting bored of the conversation. "Not too bad. There were some bruises and a bump on her head. Nothing that Dobby can't take of. But she'll be furious that you let Potter slip through your fingers. Come to think of it, I don't see a scratch on you."