Chapter Twenty Five - Memories

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

c h a p t e r t w e n t y f i v e

{Memories}

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Skylar's POV

When we arrive back home, Jayden gives Addison and Jasper a quick tour of the house. Not long after does he disappear with Jasper into his man cave—the office—and leaves me with Addison.

"They seem to get along great," I note, pouring her a cup of tea. She graciously takes the mug and even though it's piping, she takes a sip. For a moment, her eyes close and she places her hand on her stomach. The gesture makes me smile.

"I couldn't be any luckier. It's truly a blessing they get along the way they do."

"Well, I have only known Jasper for over five hours, but he seems like a great guy," I say.

We take our drinks onto the balcony. "He is. We met my sophomore year in college. His best friend Miles is my best friend Isabella's boyfriend, so it works out perfectly."

"Oh! Jayden was telling me about Isabella a while back, we both love The Cure."

Addy lets out a boisterous laugh. "Oh yeah? Bell is obsessed. I feel you two would get along great. I'll have to introduce you sometime."

I bring my mug to my lips. "I'd like that."

She tells me how she and Jasper met, and some of her college memories. From her stories, I gather she's the wild child. She reminds me of Raven, carefree, but highly intelligent. I wonder how it was for Jayden all those years watching his sister do everything she wasn't 'supposed' to do. I can picture him in full panic mode, trying to make sure she is safe.

"I'm assuming Jayden was protective when it came to boys?"

Her eyes widen, and she nods her head. "Incredibly. But I was protective over his girlfriends, too. We both played the parent role, filling the gaping hole they left in our hearts. We've always made sure each other was going in the right direction. Then everything happened with Jayden, and our parents stepped in. But by then, we didn't need them, and they just made everything worse."

I feel my hairs stand up, knowing she is talking about what happened with Olivia. I sit up slightly and readjust my legs underneath me. I don't want to pry, but every part of me wants to know what happened.

"What did happen? With Jayden?"

Her forehead crinkles, perplexed. "He hasn't told you?"

I think for a moment, contemplating whether I should tell her about the 'Noah' incident. Would Jayden be mad if I heard his story from his sister? Instead of fighting this internal battle if what I'm doing is morally wrong, I ask Addy whether I should wait for him, or just hear the story from her.

She releases a hefty sigh before turning toward me with a soft smile. "I want to tell you, but I think Jayden should. There is a lot I know, and there is a lot I don't know. It took a huge toll on him, and it still does. He knows how neglect feels, and I think it pains him to think his child might feel the same way. I'm sure he'd open up if you asked, but don't expect answers right away. It will come out in pieces."

She's right. I haven't allowed him to tell me his story; I haven't found the appropriate time to ask. Or maybe I'm just afraid to hear the truth, even though it's killing me to know.

Addy grabs my hand, catching me off guard. "If it makes you feel better, he has not been with anyone serious until you. I haven't seen him this happy in a long time."