44

"Lucas, Lucas!"

The Vampire groaned as he winced slightly and opened his eyes. He found himself lying down on a patch of grass with Ty leaning over him. He let out a sigh as he pushed himself up onto his elbows and looked around. Surrounding him was Dimiyen, Nameia, Ember, and Taylial. All of which looked like they'd been through hell... or worse.

The young Vampire grinned at him, blood smearing his face as one eye was closed from a wound to his head, "Hey. Looks like we won."

Leaning off to the side, Lucas looked past the boys shoulder to see the field sprawled out before him. Smoke rose from the ground at places that were still smoldering. Black bodies littered the ground. For a moment he could only look on with astonishment as he brain tried to function and process what he was seeing. After a moment he straightened himself and let out a whoosh of air from his lungs.

"Damn..."

"Yeah, that's what I said," Nameia said with a heavy sigh. Looking over to her, Lucas noted that she was holding her left arm gingerly and wondered if it was broken from the way she was cradling it. Dimiyen was sitting next to her, her fingers working at finishing up the tie of a bandage around the other girls opposite shoulder.

"I'm sorry," he said.

"For what?" Ember asked as he leaned back against Taylial who smiled warmly at the Vampire.

"You could have all died."

"Yeah, well if we hadn't done anything we would have definitely died," the demi-God huffed, her usual sass still present even with her body being injured as it was.

Lucas huffed lightly as he sat there. He was still drowsy from using so much energy. Upon the thought he looked down at his hand and noted the missing rings. His heart skipped a beat. What had happened to the grimoires he'd had?

"I took them off," Ty said softly as he wrapped his arm around the Vampire's shoulder, "They were sucking you dry because you lost control of them and Drezair couldn't stop it, so we took them off. I bet you feel better without them too, hu?"

"Yeah," Lucas admitted with a slight frown.

The sound of crunching boots caught all of them by surprise and they looked to where the noise was coming from. To the group's right was a small group of black cloaked figures approaching them. Ty was the first to get to his feet, hands curled into a fist as he glowered at the families who stopped a few meters from them. Lucas' father was the only one to draw back the hood of his cloak.

"Father," Lucas said softly, staying seated as he watched the man carefully.

"Seems that you all made it out alive," his gaze flicked to Ty with a bit of a frown.

"Do I hear an 'unfortunately' in that tone?" Ty asked, a grin on his lips as he tensed up. It was almost as if Lucas' boyfriend was vying for a fight right then.

Cahastile glowered at the boy, but ignored him, which surprised Lucas, "Kivar and his men have been destroyed. We believe that is the last we'll see of any Stalkers."

"What about the grimoires," Ember asked tentatively, the boy leaning back so that he could see the group.

Turning on his heel, Cahastile pulled the hood back up from his cloak, "What grimoires?"

With that the man and the other families walked away, their boots crunching across the ruined ground until they all disappeared one after the other. Cahastile was the last one to go, pausing briefly to turn and look to Lucas before allowing his body to be carried away by his magic.

"Is it just me or did we seriously just get let off the hook?" Nameia asked, a bit flustered.

"I-I don't know..." Dimiyen said softly, shaking her head a bit in shock.

"What the hell was that?" Ty exclaimed, turning to look down at his boyfriend who shrugged his shoulders.

Lucas sighed heavily. He supposed it was a good thing that his father had decided not to pursue the matter of Ty having a demon inside him. Not to mention that their little group now knew the secret behind the families power. His head cocked off to the side as he closed his eyes to try to get some rest. He really didn't want to think about anything, let alone what his father could possibly be thinking.

"I don't know," he muttered softly, "Let's just be happy we don't have to fight them too. I really don't want to."

"I have to agree to that. The last thing we need is a freakin' family feud," the demi-God said bitterly, rolling her eyes too.

The human plopped down next to the Vampire, crossing his arms in frustration. Lucas peeled open an eye to look at his boyfriend from the side. He frowned a bit at the boy before letting his body fall over onto Ty's lap. The Vampire was blaming it on lack of energy, though secretly he knew differently.

"Stop sulking. I'm sure you and my father will have a time to fight with each other later. Just don't kill him, got it," Lucas said, looking up to the boy who was startled at the fact that Lucas had just laid himself across his lap.

He recovered rather quickly though and grinned down at the Vampire, "Yeah, yeah. I know he doesn't like me at all anyway. I suppose I should be grateful he didn't haul me back into Isoldei to drive Drezair out."

"Yup," Lucas agreed as he settled against the boy with the intent of sleeping.

"Hey, we are not sleeping here," Nameia cursed.

Lucas hummed slightly, "Oh I certainly am," he responded curtly and promptly allowed the sweet darkness of dreams to start sucking him in. The warmth of Ty's body seeped through their clothes to help usher on the effects too. The Vampire was finally at peace, feeling as if the world had finally lifted off his shoulders. He curled up closer to the human boy who had been his savior from just about everything.

Lucas' lips curled up into a genuine smile.