[ 17 ]

S E V E N T E E N
THIRD PERSON'S POINT OF VIEW

HYUNJIN GATHERED WITH THE two Australians in his homeroom for group work

HYUNJIN GATHERED WITH THE two Australians in his homeroom for group work. His voice was quiet when he spoke: "I think I'm going to tell the rest of the group the truth." That's right. He knew that Felix, Chan and Jeongin knew. Kiyomi couldn't keep that to herself because she felt guilty. He should know. And it seemed that it was okay with him. Felix and Kiyomi widened their eyes, taking a glance at each other. They were happy that he wanted to be bit more open but they didn't want him to feel like he had to. "You know you don't have to... right Hyunjin?"

He nodded with a small smile, "I know but I have to. They should know too. They're my closest friends. My real family."

Felix and Kiyomi returned a reassuring smile, the Australian male patting him on the back lightly. "We'll be there the whole time with Chan hyung and Jeongin so don't be scared, okay?" Hyunjin nodded tightly, feeling his girlfriend squeeze his hand to encourage him.

The students' ten minute break occurred and the couple was visiting the convenience store. Kiyomi sipped on her little carton of strawberry milk, her small hands wrapped around the cardboard box. "Is your hand okay now?" She asked, her eyes traveling to his bandaged hand. Hyunjin looked at the slightly red spot on the white cloth. "Yeah. Especially since you took care of it." He nudged her gently, chuckling at her sarcastic expression. "How did you do it so well anyways? It's better than I've ever done it."

"I think you forget my parents are doctors. Also, I want to become a nurse." She sheepishly admitted, continuing to sip on her drink. Hyunjin raised a brow, genuinely interested in what she had said: "A nurse? But you have such good grades? You could become a doctor like your parents." Kiyomi shrugged, feeling the boy tuck her tresses that dangled freely behind her ear. "I don't know... I don't think I'm ready for something like that. I want to take care of someone's life rather than have it in my hands. My respect for doctors will never lessen."

"So a nurse and an idol, huh? You can take care of my health and I can serenade you."

"What the heck Hyunjin?..."

• • •

"Why are we in a secluded park? Are we going to get kidnapped as a prank or swim thing? Because that is a nasty prank. Funny but plain mean." Jisung queried suspiciously, his brown eyes flirting around his surroundings. Woojin laughed lightly at the squirrel-faced male's thoughts. Hyunjin shook his head in disappointment. He swore that sometime the guy only had one brain cell.

"He wants to tell you something. So hush, hyung (older brother)." Jeongin furrowed his brows, getting slightly annoyed. Jisung muttered under his breath, something along the lines of how the youngest was a brat sometimes. "Hey! You two quit it and listen!" Kiyomi yelled loudly at the two bickering males. Hyunjin smiled softly at her, mouthing a thanks as he cleared his throat. "You know how for the past few years you've seen be with bruises and cuts? And you think that I'm getting into fights? It's not true." A gasp left Minho's mouth.

"Have you been self-harming? Hyunjin... I am so sorr—"

"No! I'm glad you're worried, hyung... but that's not it. I-I have these wounds because I get abused. By my parents."

The group was purely silent. Unable to form any words. This was what was going on for the last few years? They had assumed so many things about him as he grew colder and this was the truth? Hyunjin looked up at them, opening his mouth to cut the thick atmosphere: "We need to make a plan to help him. I've tried to call the police but they need evidence. Something that I don't have. It can't just be the marks on my body because they're too shitty to realize where they actually come from. Like you, they thought I got into fights."

And then began a thorough planning session.

"First, Hyunjin should come home like he usually does in the evening because that's when he parents are abusive and drunk. Then, which is the worst part of the plan, Hyunjin needs to get hurt. I know it doesn't sound too great but in order to get evidence, it needs to happen. Third of all, we should be around the windows that you can see into, especially the living room. Two people per window. And with that comes number four, where you record what is going on. It's not the best thing to see but use a phone or camera for videos and photos, maybe even record the audio. Do it stealthily and sneakily. Five, we need to get him out of there once we have enough evidence. Someone should knock on the doo, asking for Hyunjin. One of us definitely should record that moment if we can so we can record their duality. Finally, we hand it in to the police. Let's hope they take it as actual evidence though."

"Jeez... that's a pretty detailed plan you've got there. We have to do this well then." Chan told the group, a light tipped smile shot to Hyunjin. Who returned the same gesture, looking over at Kiyomi. The girl seemed to be in a deep trance, zoning out as she stared at the ground harshly. A nervous feeling surged through her body. She felt nervous of the plan she had made with Hyunjin the night he came to her house. Almost doubtful.

What if it went wrong? Then what?

It seemed that nothing wanted to turn out right in Hyunjin's life. As the figure behind the trees near them was shaking in fear and guilt. Eunbin internally sighed, wishing she had never followed the group after school. She felt horrible. And as much as she wanted to help, her heart drives her crazy. She believed she could help him. More than Kiyomi could. So Eunbin had to do what she planned to.

"I'm sorry, Hyunjin."