Chapter 39

"Are you asking me to decide whether or not to send Christoph to his possible death?"

I questioned Vincent, blinking into his face like a rabbit caught in a trap, while everyone in the room watched and waited.

"You're the one with the power, Reese. And you're the closest to him. I think you should have the final say."

I knew the words were difficult for him, and when his hand tightened around mine, it felt as if he was squeezing my heart.

"I need some air."

As soon as I made my request, it was granted. Griffin rushed to gather the dog leashes while the whippets followed excitedly on her heels. Amelia fetched my sandals from the foyer and put them on my bloated feet. Vincent grabbed a water bottle and filled it from the fridge. And Lucy and Wren spoke in their soft, motherly tones.

"Don't worry about your friend, Reese," Lucy said. "Like gollums, demons are very resilient."

"Thanks, Lucy. You always find ways to shed a positive light on dark situations."

I put on a brave face, but it probably didn't fool anyone. We all knew the risks Christoph faced if he tried to steal the Seal of Solomon. Just the fact that he was suggesting a covert move, meant he didn't think Hadria would be open to loaning it to me, even if it meant defeating a threat to demon kind. Did the wicked witch even care what happened to her subjects?

As we left the apartment, Griffin handed the dog leashes to Vincent, and I noticed her eyes had become shiny with tears. "I can walk the dogs while you two talk, but I understand if you want to be alone."

I glanced at Vincent through my own watery eyes, letting him know I wasn't opposed to Griffin's company. I felt sorry for her for feeling sorry for me.

"I think Bonnie and Clyde would be disappointed if you didn't join us," he told her. "Did you grab treats?"

"Of course." She smiled as she patted her pocket, and the three of us walked to the elevator. Okay, they walked, I waddled, and while Griffin talked about her last conversation with Travis, my chest slowly filled with virtual cement. It was a feeling I'd been overcoming as I embraced my gollum nature, and I'd be damned if I was going to let it drag me down now. I needed my wits to figure out what to do about Christoph.

When we reached the sidewalk and the summer sun greeted me, the stifling pressure loosened its hold, and I took in a deep, warming breath.

"Better?" Vincent asked as we made our way toward the park. The concern in his eyes were as clear as the sky, and I gave him a reassuring nod.

"Yes, thank you. How did the meeting with the investors go?"

"Is that what you really want to talk about?"

"No, but I'm trying to distract myself."

"Fair enough. It ended up being a bunch of whiny rich people who enjoy complaining as much as they enjoy a bottle of Chateau Lafite. But the meeting did accomplish one thing you'll be happy about."

"Oh? What's that?"

"I've decided to let Colin handle all of the Valentino's investment accounts. It will take twenty-seven things off my plate."

"I support that. Was Colin at the meeting?"

"Yes, and he was still there after I was interrupted with the call from..." He pursed his lips, and I squeezed his hand.

"It's okay, Vincent. I don't want you tiptoeing around the subject. I know you aren't happy with my decision to keep this gift, but it's our best hope to defeat Dmitry."