Chapter 28

The only thing better than waking up with Vincent beside me, was waking up with Vincent fondling me. This happened at nine, midnight, and again at two-thirty when we finally climbed out of bed to make food. Colin picked that time to call and invite himself over, arriving at our door a minute later with a bottle of Remy Martin.

"You up for a drink?" Colin said as he walked in and plopped his butt on a barstool. "I need someone to toast with."

"What are we toasting?" Vincent asked.

"My promise, of course."

"Your promise?" Vincent and I chimed in together.

"Yes, to Claudette. Didn't Mom tell you?"

Vincent reached for his phone. "She may have tried, but I've had my ringer off for a few hours." He continued to feel around his pants pockets then glanced toward the hall. "My phone must still be in the bedroom."

Colin looked at Vincent like he'd grown another head. "Why did you turn off your ringer?"

"I didn't want to be disturbed."

"But you never turn off your..." Colin glanced at me as if he'd just realized I was there. "Nevermind. I get the gist. How are you feeling, Reese? Besides sore."

"Not funny," I said as my face flamed up. "I'm fine. And I'm real happy for you and Claudette. Congratulations."

Colin looked like the kid who'd been picked first as he filled his lungs with air. "Thanks. I know you don't indulge, but you can pour yourself a glass of grape juice or something."

"I think we have cranberry." Before I could make a move for the fridge, Vincent was pulling the bottle out, and Colin chuckled as he watched Vincent grab a wine glass from the cupboard.

"What's so funny?" I asked.

"Nothing."

"You wouldn't have laughed if something wasn't funny."

He shrugged as he sent Vincent a tentative glance. "I just think it's humorous that Vincent waits on you hand and foot. He's never done that for any of us."

"That's not true," Vincent said as he poured juice into the glass. "I took care of Lucy when she broke her ankle and Charleton was in Peru."

"You were twelve. That doesn't count."

"Why doesn't it count?" I said, feeling a rush of love for my fierce gollum with the big heart.

"Because he wasn't cocky back then."

"That's bullshit, and you know it," Vincent argued as he handed me the wine substitute. "I've been cocky since the day I sprouted wings." He let a smirk tweak his lips before rounding the kitchen counter and heading for the hallway. "I'll get the brandy glasses and we'll give you that toast."

When Vincent had disappeared into his office, I took advantage of his absence to probe Colin. "So, whose idea was it? Yours or Claudette's?"

He stared at me for a long moment, his dark eyes piercing me in a way only Colin could get away with. "Does it matter?"

"No. Just call me curious. I'm late to the game and haven't heard all the details of your off-and-on romance with Claudette. I just want you to be happy, that's all."

"And you don't think I'll be happy with her? Does this have something to do with the Sylvie breakup?"

I bit my lip, wishing I hadn't opened my big mouth. "Not so much about the breakup. More about the relationship. You and Sylvie were really into each other."