Chapter 33

In just two days, a new high magister would be crowned, and Vincent's phone had been ringing non-stop as news broke of Magister Hidalgo's arrest. It turned out the Barcelona-based gollum was found guilty of embezzlement and skimming from several of his investment companies. The local authorities didn't care whether or not he was a gollum. He would be tried and punished like any other criminal.

"Well, that narrows the field to two," said Jonathan as he sat in Vincent's office sharing a Cognac with his brother. "It's anybody's race now."

I set a tray of food in front of them, making sure they didn't get lacquered on an empty stomach, and I lingered while they talked.

"I'm still convinced George will get the position," Vincent said as he helped himself to a wedge of brie and paired it with a slice of apple. "He's older than I am, and you know the cronies always equate age with experience."

"But George doesn't have the business savvy you do. He lives off his ancestor's riches and owns a couple of vineyards. Don't get me wrong, I like George, and I'm sure he'd be capable, but everyone knows he's not the hardworking gollum you are."

"Well, he got enough votes to prove there are gollums who think he's perfectly capable. And so do I."

"Where would you host visiting magisters if you won, Vincent?" I tried to keep my tone light as I asked the question. I figured everyone already knew I wasn't eager to see Vincent in that role.

"It's traditional for the high magister to play host in his home, which isn't always convenient. But, in our case, we have the empty apartment Henry was using. And the place right next door will be available soon."

I struggled to hide a scowl. I didn't like his nonchalant attitude about his own brother leaving the domus, and I decided I didn't want to be involved in their little pow-wow. So, I left them to drink their Cognac and speculate.

It also didn't sit well that I still felt responsible for the whole situation. Sure, it was Colin having the strong feelings, but if I wasn't in the picture, everything would be hunky dory, or at least he and Vincent would be enjoying their usual sibling rivalry. Part of me wondered if it was Vincent who suggested Colin move out. Nobody had actually taken responsibility for it.

These thoughts continued to torture me as I cleaned up the kitchen, and by the time I was finished, I had convinced myself that going next door and talking to Colin was a good idea. He and Claudette were home from their hiatus at the cabin, and both seemed to be on board with the move. I started walking back to tell Vincent my intentions when I heard Jonathan talking about Amelia.

"She's complaining we don't do enough as a couple. So, we're thinking about taking a trip, just the two of us. Our sex life has gone into the shitter, and we're hoping to salvage whatever romance might still be left."

After getting an earful, I made a u-turn and headed back to the living room. I wasn't about to disturb that conversation. I tried to leave the apartment in stealth mode, although I figured Vincent heard the door open and close. This gave me a funny feeling in the pit of my stomach, like I was doing something wrong, and I totally blamed Vincent for that.

Before I talked myself out of it, I knocked on Colin's door and waited. If he wasn't at home, there'd be no harm done. I would just talk to him later. The door swung open just as I was convincing myself I should keep my nose out of it, and Colin looked surprised when he saw me.

"Reese, what are you doing here?"

"I live next door, remember? I've been known to stop by on occasion."

"Actually, you don't. I stop by your place on occasion."

"Well, I'm changing it up. I...um, just wanted to talk to you for a minute. It's about you and Claudette moving out... I mean, you moving out with Claudette." I bit my lip as awkwardness creeped in, although I never felt awkward around Colin. Something else I could blame on Vincent.