Chapter 27

It turned out Mr. Pearlman had a massive stroke in his sleep, and the paramedics who picked him up tried to reassure me that he went peacefully. Despite my exhaustion, I had a fitful sleep, but I stayed in bed for a solid six hours while Vincent tackled the job of telling people to shove-off until I'd had proper rest.

When morning came, I had the unpleasant job of calling Mr. Pearlman's only living relative who gave a shit, or at least half a shit; his grandson, Steve. The news didn't come as a complete shock, since the last time Steve came to visit, Mr. Pearlman was recovering from his near-death experience. Although I told Steve the memorial would be a small one held at the funeral home, he promised to be there. Sadly, I figured he was mostly interested in raiding Henry's stuff to see what he could find.

In typical Valentino style, Vincent made sure every expense was handled, and he kept me supplied with beverages and healthy take-out while I took care of business. Sylvie would have come over to offer the solace only a bestie could provide, but she and her new man, Ellis, had already left to visit his parents on Staten Island.

It was evening before I finally checked everything off my list, and with Vincent out running errands, I stood in front of my closet trying to decide which black dress would be appropriate for Mr. Pearlman's memorial on Tuesday. I needed something modest, which ruled out most of my wardrobe. Even my work clothes gave off that I may be unavailable, but I've still got it vibe. Vincent would probably suggest I call Todd and his overly-enthusiastic assistant, but I didn't want to rely on the Valentino's connections every time I needed something.

I stared down at my belly and the little bump that had already developed there, knowing none of my black dresses would work, even the stretchy ones. Actually, it was probably time I went shopping for maternity clothes. The problem was, I wasn't far along enough in human gestation to warrant pregnancy gear yet, and the rumor mill would grab ahold of that and not let go until I had dragged the good name of Valentino through the proverbial mud. I needed help, and I knew just the person to give it. I picked up my cellphone and pressed speed dial for the number next door.

"Hey, Reese. You alright?" Amelia asked.

"Yes and no. I don't know what to wear to Mr. Pearlman's memorial. Everything I own looks like it belongs on a Vera Wang model, not on a pregnant woman attending a funeral."

"Oh, I see. Hang tight. I'll be right over."

I didn't have to wait long before Amelia had joined me in front of my closet. After laying all the black dresses I owned on the bed, she stood back and gave each one a hard look. Then she turned to me and did the same thing.

"As far as your figure is concerned, you're about where you should be at this stage," she said. "I started showing at two-and-a-half months. Gollums are different than humans that way."

"I know that, but the public doesn't. One look at my baby bump and they'll be all over me like stink on a sack of rotten potatoes."

Amelia grinned at my joke. "I know you hate the paparazzi, but it will be part of your life from here on out. I'd love to tell you it's going to get better, but I wouldn't know. I've never dated Vincent. At least, not publicly."

My heart skipped a few beats at her revelation, but I tried to shrug it off, since she didn't seem bothered by it. "Really? You and Vincent hooked-up before you and Jonathan got together?" I wasn't sure why I was asking such personal questions, since my emotions had been all over the board lately, but there was no backsies now.

"We got together briefly when he was just figuring out what to do with his penis, but we both realized we were better suited as friends and sparring partners." She offered me a sisterly smile. "You don't really want to know about all that, do you? It's ancient history, and Vincent is completely nuts over you. You will never have to worry about another female commanding his attention... Ever."