"Angela, please tell me someone is sober," I said.

"Eric is sober, don't worry about it. Jisung, are you there?"

Jisung leaned into the phone. "Hello, Angela."

"You break his heart and I will hunt you down to the ends of the—"

"Okay," I said quickly, "I'm hanging up."

"See you Monday," Angela sang.

"We love you, boys!" Jessica added, shrieking like someone was bodily holding her away from the phone.

"I love you, too," I said. Jisung joined in with a quiet, "Love you."

The line went dead. I hung up the phone.

"Thanks for putting me on the spot like that," Jisung huffed. "I was scrambling."

"You barely said five words."

"And I was completely discombobulated for all of them." He sucked in a calming breath. "Your friends are cute."

I smiled. "They are."

"Do you regret skipping the dance now?"

I considered it. I was happy my friends were happy. I would have liked to see Angela with the dizzy light of alcohol in her eyes, and Mike attempt to dance. Drunk Jessica seemed like even more of a handful, but still funny and lovey-dovey and infectiously peppy. It could have been fun.

I didn't regret it. I looked at Jisung, his gentle, clear eyes, and I couldn't possibly regret any time spent with him. Every second was precious.

"No." I kissed him on the cheek.

I spun around, took a seat and stared at my cereal. I didn't regret Jisung, but something better to eat would have been nice. I took a bite anyway.

He walked around the table and hovered over the other chair.

"May I?" he said politely.

"Oh, come on," I teased. "Stop acting like you don't hang out here all the time."

"Why would I hang out in the kitchen?" He scoffed and sat down.

"Where are you, then? Like, specifically?"

His eyes ticked to the side, hesitant. "I kneel by the foot of your bed. I pray."

Not what I was expecting. "Oh. Do you pray to God?"

"Not strictly any one god." He shrugged. "Whoever will listen."

"I've always pictured you in my desk chair."

"I thought that would be going too far. I didn't want to creep you out."

I shook my head. "I wanted to know you were there. I would search for clues in the morning."

His smile was small and indulgent. He was about to speak when his eyes snapped toward the front door. A second later, I heard the sound of wheels on the pavement outside.

He looked back at me, expectant. "Are you going to tell your dad about me?"

I made a face. "I'm sorry. I don't think I'm ready." It was one thing to Come Out to Charlie — to explain Jisung, my boyfriend, my something, to him was something else entirely.

"It's all right," he said, seeming a little disappointed.

"Will you stay? Will you, um, spend the night?"

"If you want me to."

"Yes, please."

The playful, rash side of him curled his lips into a smile. "I'll be in your room."