Stay With Me

Erin was on edge waiting in the house for the gang to return. The clock was ticking away the minutes she could be out there. She had no idea what she could do, but she also had no idea what would happen if she wasn't there. For all she knew, tonight would go smoothly and everyone would be okay. But every time she tried to think that, Ponyboy's comment played over in her head.

When she couldn't take no more, she ran out of the house and down the street in the direction the boys went. She knew she was close when she could hear yelling and fighting. She got to the entrance of the lot and watched the horrific scenes. It was hard to tell who was who in the blur of people. But she finally caught sight of Ponyboy and Johnny fighting a Soc together.

She watched for a few minutes, and noticed everything seemed to going fine as she searched the scene. Her eyes kept darting back to Ponyboy and Johnny, though. They were now fighting a different Soc. It was David, one of the Soc's who cornered her earlier in the day. He punched Ponyboy hard in the head and shoved him to the ground.

She seen Johnny's mouth move, but she couldn't make out what he said. That's when she noticed something shimmer in the moonlight. When she seen it, her heart stopped. It was a blade, and by the looks of it, it was for Johnny. Before Erin knew what she was doing, she started running. She ran through all the fighting to get to Johnny. He had no idea what was about to happen because he was still focused on David.

As she got closer, she realized it was Shawn who was holding it. He was walking up right behind Johnny with the blade ready in his hands. "We're going to get what we want." His words echoed through her head. He wanted Johnny dead. He wanted him dead because he killed Bob. He wanted him to die the same way Bob did.

Erin ran a little faster when she seen him pull back blade. He was ready, but Erin wasn't. She had no idea what to do, no idea what she was doing, not until it was too late. She ran in between Shawn and Johnny, letting the blade pierce through her.

She felt it, but she didn't do anything. She couldn't scream, couldn't even make a noise, but her mouth hung open. Just as quickly as it was inside her, it was jerked out.

"NO!" She heard Ponyboy scream. Apparently he had seen the whole thing. He seen the blade go through her, and now he watched her as she crumbled to the ground.

She laid on the ground as everyone ran. "They all ran off when I stabbed him." She remembered Johnny's voice from the movie. She remembered a lot of things while laying there. Her parents, and how worried they must be. They won't even know if their own daughter is dead. Her friends and all the fun things she will never be able to do with them again.

She let a out a whimper as a few tears were shed. It hurt to cry. Her whole body ached when she felt herself being moved. "Erin! Oh God, Erin." She heard him say, but it was hard. She could barley hear anything and there was a slight ringing in her ears. She was now in Johnny's arms, and he noticed the giant, bloody gash in her stomach.

"Johnny," She gasped out. "Johnny, is Ponyboy okay?" She knew he would probably have a concussion, but after seeing him get hit like that she had to know if he was all right.

"Yeah, Angel, Ponyboy is okay. He's right here beside me."

"Yeah, I'm okay. And you're going to be okay, too," He reassured her. "Johnny, what do we do?"

"Go get Darry. Hurry. We don't have much time." Ponyboy ran off just as Dally came over to them. He stopped dead in his tracks when he seen her and muttered curse words.

"What happened to her?" Johnny explained how he didn't really see what happened. But he did tell him what Erin had told him earlier. "And you didn't bother to tell anyone? Come on, Johnny. You gotta think kid." He smacked the back of Johnny's head, but not hard of course.

Just as Darry and Ponyboy came over, Erin spoke. "They were gonna stab you...I couldn't let you get hurt...not again." Johnny looked down at Erin with teary eyes. This makes twice she's saved him. "I wasn't going to let you die."

Darry was more focused on the blood that was coming from her. "Move over," He told them. He took of his shirt and tied it around her. She winced in pain as he tightened it. "Sorry," He mumbled before lifting her up. "Dally, did Tim bring his car?"

Since all the boys were at the Curtis house tonight there was no need to bring the car. "I don't know, man." He looked around and seen Tim's T-Bird parked in the grass. "Yeah. He won't mind if I borrow it. Come on."

"Hold on, Dal. Go tell the guys where we're going. Hurry up, we will meet you in the car." They all rushed off to the car, Erin's head was bobbing up and down in Darry's arms. She could barely keep her head up and her eyes open. She knew she would drift off to soon.

Darry sat her in the back with Ponyboy and Johnny just as Dally came back. Her head was in Johnny's lap and her feet were on Ponyboy. Johnny kept staring at her and stroking her hair. It only made her more tired. When she shut her eyes, Johnny shook her. "Erin! Erin, don't shut your eyes! Stay with me! Please!"

She was almost gone. Johnny's voice was distant, like he was far away from her instead of right by her. When her eyes fluttered open Johnny let out a sigh. "Sorry," She told him. "Didn't mean to...scare you."

"It's fine, Angel. You just have to stay awake, okay."

"I don't know how long I can," She gasped out. It was getting harder for to talk. Harder for her to breath. She never thought she would be thankful for the feeling to breathe easily. Thankful for every breath to not come out in painful gasps.

"You have to try," Johnny was pledging. After that week at the church, he knows Erin better than anyone else. After that week at the church, he feels something around her. Something he's never felt before. In the beginning he thought she was just a pretty girl. A real pretty girl, especially after that popcorn incident. And now that pretty girl was dying in his arms. "Please, Erin, you can't go. You have to stay awake."

She felt hot tears stream down her cheeks. Johnny and Ponyboy were both crying as well. It was getting even harder for her to breath. The rise and fall of her chest had become more slow. You could hear her gasping for air.

With everyone crying, Erin was getting a little scared. The pain only made it worse. Why couldn't I have just died quickly like Bob? But even if she did die quickly, Erin was still afraid of death. Of what happens when you die.

"It hurts, Johnny," Johnny looked at her. He seen pain and fear in her eyes. He grabbed her limp and hand and squeezed it.

"It will be okay, Angel," He told her. Erin knew she would be okay. That no matter what happens, whether she lives or dies, she will be okay. Ponyboy was full on sobbing. He had his hands covering his face, so no one could see him.

"Ponyboy," Erin choked out. "Ponyboy." He uncovered his face and seen her outstretched hand. She wanted him to hold it. He hesitantly took her hand and gave it a small squeeze. Erin gave them both small smiles. "I love you guys. You all...were the best thing that ever..." She swallowed hard and breathed heavily. "happened to me." And her finale words broke them. "Stay gold."

Then, she shut her eyes, her chest rose and fell one last time, and she was gone.