Angel

Erin woke up groggily to someone shaking her. She looked up and seen Johnny in front of her and a sleepy Pony at his side. "Come on, Erin, get up," He shook her more. She groaned and stood up.

"Jump!" She heard Johnny say. She jumped and landed in wet dew. She fell to her knees, scraping them and her knees. Oosh! It woke her up real quick.

She stood up and tried scraping the dirt and grass off her pants. It only left a stain that would stay for weeks. She seen something out of the corner of her eye. It was her book. She completely forgot about it with all the commotion going on. She would always hold it close to her and pick it up when she dropped it. Last night all she did was go and go; she barely remembered to grab the book before she left anywhere.

She picked it up and turned to Ponyboy and Johnny. They were both talking about what to do and where to go. Erin walked over to them and yawned. "Morning, Sleeping Beauty," Pony said with a laugh. Johnny shot a small glare to Ponyboy, but Erin didn't see it.

"Morning, bed head," She said back. Pony ran his hands through his hair, trying to fix it. Erin only laughed. Johnny laughed lightly and shook his head. "How do we get to Jay Mountain?"

Erin didn't actually know where it was. The book didn't say which way to go, but she did know what they do to get there. "How about we go ask someone. The story won't be in the paper yet. Ponyboy, you and Erin go ask someone. Go across that fence over there. And for goodness sakes, stand up straight and run a comb through your hair."

Erin ran her hands through her hair, trying to get make her hair look less messy. She got some of the tats out as Pony finished combing his. "Better," Johnny said to him. He looked over at Erin who was still messing with her hair. "You look fine Erin."

She didn't care what he said. She had stains on her clothes and her hair was probably a mess. That was not fine. If he thought it was then he has a weird definition of fine. So she just kept messing with her hair. She wanted to pull out her phone to look and see how she looked, but she knew that wasn't an option. Maybe when she was alone, but not in front of the boys.

"I said you looked fine," He walked over to her and grabbed her arm. He stopped her from messing with her hair and moved her arms back to her side. He then tucked a piece behind her ear. Erin felt her face heat up as she looked at him. "Now go on," He smiled. "Pony will leave her behind."

"Oh all right," She huffed and walked away from him. "But if I don't look good I'm blaming you." He only laughed.

"Can you get over this fence?" Pony asked as she caught up with.

"With you help. Hold this piece up and this one down." Pony did as he was told as she went in between the two pieces of barbed wire.

"Have you done that before?"

"Yeah. I have. I've been in the country enough. It's nice. It feels good to be back in a field like this."

"Yeah. I've been out in the country some. Probably not as much as you have, but I miss it."

They finally reached a farmer who was sitting down when he was supposed to be plowing. "Excuse me, sir," Erin walked up to him, Pony right behind her. "Can you tell us where Jay Mountain is?" She asked in a polite voice.

"Just over that hill up there. Why? Taking a walk?"

"Yes, sir," Pony spoke. "Us and our buddies are playing army and we are supposed to report to head courters.

The farmer just shook his head and chuckled. "Kids."

They both laughed as they walked back to Johnny. They told him what the man had said and then they began walking in the direction of the church. It took about 45 minutes to get up the hill. Erin checked the time on her phone before they started walking and when they got to the church. Of course she had to make sure no one seen her.