Fire is Catching

When they got back to the church, Erin's worst fears came to life. The church was on fire! And Erin couldn't help but blame herself. Just like she did with Ponyboy getting hit. My fault! The words played through her mind again. I didn't put out all the stupid cigarettes! I could've prevented this!

Her previous thoughts about whether or not the fire should happen seemed stupid now. She should have stopped it! If something happens to any of the gang, she couldn't forgive herself. If something happens to those kids...she didn't even want to think of that. So, with only the thought of helping everyone, she ran into the church without a second thought.

She could hear yelling from the teachers and from the guys, but she only ignored them and ran into the burning building. She figured if they could get the kids out soon, then Johnny might not need saving.

Once she was inside, she could hear more yelling from the kids. She ran through the smoke and to the kids. She quickly picked up a kid and got him out a window. "Erin!" She heard someone call. She turned around and seen Ponyboy and Johnny. She smiled, thankful for the help, but coughed right afterwards. All the smoke she was inhaling wasn't good. "Why'd you run in like that?" Johnny asked.

"I had to..." She went into a bit of a coughing fit. "get the kids out." The smoke was making it hard for her to even talk. But she still lifted up a kid and got them out the window. Then Ponyboy and Johnny came over and helped.

Once they got all the kids out, Erin pushed Ponyboy towards the window. "Get out!" She chocked out.

"No. You first."

"Ponyboy, I don't have time to argue! You better listen to me before we all get crushed under a pile of rubble!" She shot back at him. Ponyboy could could see the stern and determined look in her eyes. He seen the blazing fire he sees in Dally's eyes. He knew he better listen. She knows the fate of their future anyway, it would be stupid for him not to listen. So, with Dally's help, he climbed through the window.

After he was out, Erin turned to Johnny. "You have to get out," She said with a bit of nervousness in her voice. She kept glancing up at the roof that was slowly collapsing around them. She was scared to death, not for herself but for Johnny. She pushed him towards the window but he stopped her.

"No, you go. I don't want anything happening to you."

"Johnny, if you trust me, then please go first. Please. I'll be okay." She was trying her best to plead with him. She was wasting valuable time by doing this, but she would do anything to keep Johnny safe at this point.

Johnny stared into her eyes. Then, with a small sigh, pulled himself out the window. Just as he did, a piece of timber fell right in front of Erin. It scared her, making her stumble backwards and coughed. "Erin!" She heard Johnny call from outside. She looked up just in time to see him fall to the ground.

She pulled herself together and stumbled toward the window. The smoke was having an effect on her. She would soon be like Johnny and Ponyboy who both lay unconscious on the ground. When she made it to the window, Dally helped her out. And as soon as she was out she heard the sound of gunfire.

She turned around and seen the church collapse. She sucked in a breath and watched as the world faded into darkness around her.

...

Erin woke up just as they arrived at the hospital. She felt herself getting moved from the ambulance to the ground. She tried to find Ponyboy and Johnny, but things seemed to blur by as they moved her inside.

She was brought to a room and left there for a doctor to come. After a couple minutes, the doctor finally arrived. He asked her questions and checked her out. He deemed her fine besides a few bruises, and sent her out to the waiting room.

She found Ponyboy outside sitting with Jerry, one of the school teachers, and Dally. "Erin!" Ponyboy cried. He stood up from the chair and ran over and hugged her. She laughed and hugged back. "Glory, I was worried about you. You all right?"

"I'm fine. So are you, I suppose. Have you heard about Johnny?"

"I'm fine. No, I haven't heard about him yet. They wouldn't tell me anything about either of you. They just said to wait." Just as they pulled apart Darry and Soda came tumbling through the door. All three of them joined in a hug. Erin smiled at the sight, almost wanting to cry.

Erin could hear footsteps coming from down the hall. She turned around seen Johnny. The sight of him made her smile. He was walking. He was all right. That made her the happiest she's ever been in a long time. "Johnny!" She called. She ran to him and engulfed him in a hug. Johnny stumbled backwards but wrapped his arms around her when he regained balance. "Oh, thank God you're okay! I was so worried!"

Johnny smiled. "I'm fine, Angel. What about you? It scared me when you ran in there like that."

"I know. I'm sorry. I just had to save those kids." And you.

Suddenly, she felt a pair of hands wrap around her from behind. She was lifted up off the ground and spun around. "Erin!" Sodapop yelled.

"Soda, put me down!" She demanded. Sodapop did as told.

"Sorry," He chuckled. "I got a little excited. I just missed ya." Erin smiled. It was sweet that Soda cares so much.

"Aw, I missed you too, Soda."

"Come on you three. We should get you home. You've had a long week," Darry called from the door. Ponyboy was beside him, laying his head in his shoulder. Erin didn't notice how tired she actually was until she saw Ponyboy.

They all walked out of the hospital and into Darry's truck. Once they got in there, the three fell asleep. Ponyboy had his head against the window, Johnny was laying back against the seat, and Erin was laying her head against Johnny's shoulder.

And they laid like that until they got home.