You Better Believe It

Ponyboy had been avoiding Erin since the whole incident. He didn't trust her. No matter how many times she tried to convince him it was okay. That she wasn't a liar. Wasn't a traitor.

Johnny, on the other hand, was a different story. He still hung out with her; he didn't think any less of her. She was still her. Even if she got on her phone sometimes, Johnny didn't mind. She was still an angel to him. She would sing to him, but she acted like she didn't notice Ponyboy staring at her while she did.

Days went by with this going on. Ponyboy avoiding her, and Johnny being the only one she talks to. And Erin couldn't deny, she enjoyed having alone time with Johnny. He would open up with her, tell some jokes, laugh, and all kinds of stuff.

Erin yawned. They were sitting at the back of the church since it was getting dark. She laid her head on his shoulder. Johnny turned his head and smiled at her. "You tired?"

"Yeah, a little. We've been up since 8:00, and it's..." She trailed off and looked at her phone "11:30."

"I'm still not used to that. Being able to just turn on a screen and be able to see the time and all kinds of stuff."

"Yeah. I know it's probably weird for you...I know something that might be weird to you as well." She grinned devilishly. She got on Snapchat and turned the camera around to face Johnny. She put the puppy dog filter on him. It fit him perfectly. Once she took the picture she showed him.

He just looked at it, amazed and confused. "How'd you do that?"

"You know how I showed you Snapchat the other day, and how I told you about all the filters and stuff? Well that's it." She turned the camera back around and scooted closer to Johnny. She took the picture with the same puppy filter. Then she showed Johnny all the other filters and how you can watch people's stories.

After a little while they finally went inside. Ponyboy was already asleep. "Aw, he's actually cute looking when he's asleep," Erin joked. Johnny didn't seem to think it was very funny though.

Erin yawned again and sat down on the ground. The pew was harder than the ground. Erin took off her jacket and used it as a pillow. She was a little cold, but she could manage. Soon she finally fell asleep.

...

The next day consisted of the same routine. Except something was a little different. Ponyboy got sick from smoking too much. "We told you'd get sick," Johnny stated.

"Yeah. I bet she knew about it, too," He said to Erin who was stepping on a cigarette.

She was trying to make sure all the cigarette butts were out. She didn't want a fire. But it's something she's been thinking about. It's the reason they might have got let off easily, especially to Johnny if she's going to save him. But if there is not fire, then the teachers would figure out that some juvenile delinquents have been living here and report them, and that might get them into more trouble. Erin didn't know what to do, so she ended up stomping another cigarette. Thankful, she wasn't questioned.

"Yeah I did. Remember, I tried to warm you, so did Johnny, but you wouldn't listen."

"Yeah, yeah. I don't need a lecture, Darry. I'll probably get one when I get home, whenever that is." It was like he hated her. Hated her for coming into their lives. For being in a different time. For being her. At least Johnny cared.

"No you won't," Erin said, sitting down next to him. She was trying to cheer him up. Hopefully make some things better between them. "He'll be happy your back. So will Soda. Speaking of Soda, I can tell you something. You'll get a letter from him."