4 ; the hogwarts express ✔︎

Start from the beginning

Y/N happily agreed and dug her uniform out of her trunk. She pulled the curtain over the compartment door (which was glass) and pulled on her uniform – she wondered what House she would be in. She didn't think much of it and rolled up the curtains, picking up a now-awake Goldfish and sitting with him in her lap. The compartment door then opened and a round-faced boy came in. He looked tearful.

"Sorry," he said, "but have you seen a toad at all?"

Y/N and Hermione shook their heads but Y/N piped up, "We'll help you find him, though!" Hermione agreed and they (including Goldfish) followed him out of the compartment.

"I'm Neville, by the way," said the boy, sniffling sadly.

"Y/N –"

"– and Hermione."

"Pleasure," Neville commented.

"Likewise," the girls chorused.

They asked and searched and asked and searched, but to their disappointment, nobody had seen Neville's toad. They sighed disdainfully and approached another compartment, with Neville sliding open the compartment door, Hermione saying, "Has anyone seen a toad? Neville's lost one."

A raven-haired boy and a redhead sat there, with piles of candy and trash around them. The redhead looked up from a fat, grey rat and scrunched his nose.

"We've already told him we haven't seen it," he said. But Hermione wasn't listening. Instead, she was looking at the wand in his hand.

"Oh, are you doing magic? Let's see it, then."

She sat down in front of him and Y/N sat in front of the raven-haired boy. He sent her a shy, quivering smile before his eyes flickered to Goldfish, who was practically drooling over him.

"Sorry," she muttered before pulling him away.

"Quite alright," he said. "I'm –"

"Sunshine, daisies, butter mellow,

Turn this stupid, fat rat yellow!"

The redheaded boy waved his wand, but nothing happened. The rat stayed grey and fast asleep.

"Are you sure that's a real spell?" said Hermione, and Y/N rolled her eyes to the raven-haired boy. He grinned at her. "Well, it's not very good, is it? I've tried a few simple spells just for practice and it's all worked for me. Nobody in my family – except for me and Y/N, of course – are magic at all, it was ever such a surprise when we got our letters, but we were ever so pleased, of course, I mean, it's the very best school of witchcraft there is, I've heard - we've learned all our course books by heart, of course, I just hope it will be enough – I'm Hermione Granger, and this is my sister, Y/N Granger, by the way, who are you?"

The boys looked at each other.

"I'm Ron Weasley," Ron muttered.

"Harry Potter," said Harry.

Y/N extended her hand for both of them but Hermione interrupted her.

"Are you really?" she said. "I know all about you, of course – I got a few extra books for background reading, and you're in Modern Magical History and The Rise and Fall of the Dark Arts and Great Wizarding Events of the Twentieth Century."

"Hermione, isn't that a bit creepy-stalkerish-Dudley-Dursley investigation?" said Y/N, concerned. She hadn't heard of this boy at all.

"You know Dudley Dursley?" Harry asked. "He's my cousin."