I hesitate for a moment, but Adrian puts his hand on my back and guides me through, reminding me that he's here too. I'm not alone with Scott.

"So, what is it Rosie?"

"It's Paige." I'm momentarily distracted by his apartment. I look around at the familiar surroundings. It's a small apartment – essentially two rooms: living room, bedroom, bathroom tucked away behind the kitchen. But it was perfect. It was all I needed to distract myself. I just soaked it all up – completely lost myself in his world. My eyes drift to his couch.

"Let's watch a movie," he says, turning on Netflix, "how about The Hangover?"

"Yeah."

He always knows how to distract me. I curl up into a ball beside him on the couch. He smiles at me and leans over, pulling a blanket around me. But I can feel it creeping in. There it is. Anxiety. Right in my stomach. Guilt. Sadness. Shame. It's my fault. I feel it like a wave.

I need a real distraction.

He looks over me, feeling the same thing that I feel. His hand reaches forward to cup my face and his lips come crashing down on mine. And all of a sudden, Paige disappears from my mind.

My heart hitches in my throat. "Yeah, uh, Paige."

"Yeah?" he urges.

"They've ruled her death as suspicious," I narrow my eyes on him.

"F*ck," he says, and I watch him reach into his pocket and pull out a cigarette. Typical. He holds the packet out to me but I shake my head.

"Scott, did you ever... did anything happen between you two?"

"No, of course not," his eyebrows furrow. "You were the only one, Rosie."

"Don't feed me that bullsh*t," I spit out, unable to hold back my distaste. Scott flinches at my tone and I notice Adrian's eyes widen. "I need the truth, Scott."

He reaches his arm to rub the back of his neck. "Well, that's it, Rosie."

"Then why did the police find your jacket in her car?"

"F*ck," his head tilts back and he shuts his eyes for a moment. "I forgot about that."

"What the f*ck did you forget about, Scott? I didn't have to come here. I could have told them the jacket was yours and then they'd be knocking on your door. So tell me the truth, goddamnit!" I slam my fist on the table.

"Can you give us a second?" Scott says to Adrian.

Adrian looks at me for permission.

I give him a small nod.

"I'll be outside," Adrian says, looking between us and sending Scott a hard glare.

"You really need to calm down," Scott says arrogantly now that Adrian isn't in the room.

I grit my teeth so hard I feel my jaw muscles start to cramp. I hold back my rage. "What. Happened. With. Paige."

"It's really no big deal. I came back to Cedar Creek for a weekend to visit some old friends. It was summer, but it was raining bad and I saw that friend of yours walking alone. I offered her my jacket and a ride home. Nothing happened."

"You expect me to believe that? Paige would never get in a car with you after what you did to me."

"Don't play the victim, Rosie. Besides, I can prove it." He stubs out his cigarette and picks up his phone off the bench.

I take his phone as he shows me emails.

Paige : Mr. Everest,

I just wanted to say thankyou for driving me home the other day. It was a real big help – as I'm already sick with the flu and walking with those crutches was not efficient at all. I feel awful about keeping your jacket though, is there any way I can post it to you?

Scott : Miss Ascott,

No worries about the ride. I hope you get well soon and your sprained ankle heals. Don't worry about the jacket, I can pick it up next time I'm in Cedar.

I let out a deep breath and find myself dropping onto his couch. "God," I sigh, leaning my forehead on my palm.

"You really think I had something to do with her death?" he leans forward, pulling another cigarette out of his pocket. "Want one?"

"I said no."

"You used to love smoking with me."

"Things change."

"Not everything," he sits down beside me. "Why haven't you returned my calls?"

"You know why."

He clicks his tongue and shakes his head, black hair falling in front of his eyes. "We can still work – we could get through this."

"You should have told me about Magdalene," I stand up quickly, getting slightly dizzy.

"I knew how you'd react," he stands up.

"Stop acting like you hiding that fact that you finally had a child – and got married – isn't a big deal."

He grits his teeth – as if he has a right to be mad.

"You used me," I growl.

He steps forward and reaches out for my wrist, grabbing it so tightly it hurts. "Oh, like you didn't use me for three months? Like you didn't come crawling to me for a distraction whenever you were upset about Paige? Don't lie Rose. I've known for a while that you were pretending I was someone else."

"That's what happens when you manipulate people."

"I never manipulated you – you got everything you wanted. I didn't do anything you weren't begging for."

That's when I lose control. The back of my hand collides hard with his face.

"I was fifteen and you were my hot teacher. You think I knew what I wanted? That was wrong and I feel dirty."

He smirks. "You still think I'm hot." He pulls me in closer.

"You disgust me." I'm tempted to spit on him. "Let me go!" I squirm but he doesn't release my hand.

"We're leaving. Right now." Adrian says firmly. I whip my head around to face him. How much of that conversation has he heard?

Scott lets go of me and I stumble backwards. Adrian grabs my arm and pulls me out of the room before I have the chance to throw a punch at Scott.

I fight back tears as we get into the elevator. I won't cry in front of Adrian. Not in front of Adrian.