Chapter 13

Antonio arrives at the neighboring packs' small, remote preserve with his father after sunset. The pack is larger than Antonio's, and their homes are more remote in a forest preserve far from the closest town.

He parks his dad's truck on the edge of the first property, where two women wait to greet them. After his father and he leave the truck, they escort them to the center of the cluster of homes and buildings to one home in the center; the chief's home most likely. The alpha must be staying here temporarily. When they enter the house, the living room and kitchen are full of people; there's barely any room for his father and him to pass through. Finally they make it to a closed door guarded by two huge men in fancy business suits. Who are these guys? One of the women looks to the guys. "This is the puca leader who wishes to be bitten and his father, the past chief."

The guards nod and open the door. One goes in first while the other waits for them to pass. His father goes in first, leaving Antonio to follow. He's so scared to meet the alpha werewolf that he considers ditching him and running to the car, but he can't. If he turns this down, he'll shame his family and the whole tribe. He'll never be welcome home again or into the puca community for that matter. He has to do this. After taking a deep breath, he steps forward into the room. The other guard comes in and locks the door behind them.

They stand in a den. The room is very dark and bare; only a huge, animal skin armchair, coffee table, and stone fireplace decorate the room. Antonio can tell someone is sitting in the armchair, but he can't make out the person from his angle. The one guard clears his throat. "Sir, the puca are here."

The person in the chair shifts his position, causing the chair to creak. "Thank you, Bartholomew, Gallagher. Leave us." A strong, low voice commands.

They leave and the person doesn't budge. After minutes pass, Mr. Cruso clears his throat. "Sir..?"

The person sighs and moves to get up. At first, his form is shadowed by the fire in the fireplace and all Antonio can make out is his size; the man is over six and a half feet tall. Jesus, he's built for power. When he walks forward, Antonio shudders. The man is fearsome, muscles bulging under his white dress shirt that's opened at the collar and has the sleeves rolled up. He's wearing expensive looking gray slacks but he's barefoot, his feet dirty from running in the Florida soil. He has brown hair that appears to be gelled back but you can tell he's been running hands through it and has a matching goatee that runs along his jawline and connects to long sideburns. "You know why I stopped doing this? Because five out of ten times, it does not take and then four out of the other five, you little bastards do not appreciate it. Are you curious to know why I changed my mind, Mr. Cruso?"

It's clear he's addressing Antonio, so he meets the werewolf's gaze steadily. "Why did you?"

The alpha starts pacing around the small room, looking at the wooden floor as he does. "I did not, at first. As your father has probably told you, I turned you down the first time. Then, I saw you have something I want." He stops and looks at Antonio with a wicked grin. "A connection to Kyra Faulkner."

The young puca doesn't hide the confusion on his face. "Who?"

He frowns. "Kyra Faulkner. Light blonde hair. Female vampire. She's the warrior in the Shield Guild who let you get away with taking the human sacrifices."

Antonio grimaces. "Uh, my father took those sacrifices." Mr. Cruso sends his son a cross look, telling him now is not the time.

Then the alpha shoves his hands into the pockets of his pants. "And they're still not enough, kid. If you want to be bitten, you must get me one more sacrifice."

"Another human sacrifice?" The puca gulps.

The werewolf's grin widens. "Not human. Vampire. And for personal reasons, I want it to be Kyra Faulkner."