Chapter 2

Bright sunlight fills my room and I roll over in annoyance and find myself pressed against something warm.

I open my eyes to see Casey's sleeping body, completely baby faced. I smile as he sighs in his sleep and a piece of red hair falls across his face. His freckles standing out from his pale skin.

I sigh and push myself away, sitting at the edge of my bed. I look around my room almost in a dazed manner until my eyes settle on a painting on my wall. The colours so alive and vibrant, I feel as if I can smell the brine of the sea, taste the salt in the air, feel the wind, and hear the thunderous crashing of the waves. I close my eyes and smile. I wish I was back at the ocean. It was so enchanting; an endless expanse stretching into the horizon. I reach my hand out and stop when I feel something wet. My eyes spring open and I'm standing on the beach in my painting. The wind whips around me frantically and the spray of the sea catches me by surprise at how cool it is. Wriggling my toes I feel the soft sand against my bare feet.

I close my eyes again, letting the ocean stimulate my senses when a warm touch brings me back to my room.

Casey wrapped his muscular arms around me and flipped me onto my back, a boyish grin on his face.

"Let me go!" I squeal girlishly. His eyes go wide at my voice and he falls over in a fit of howling laughter

My face blushes beat red and I shove the rest of him off me and spring up, indignant at his actions. "You're terrible!" I shout at him and cross my arms in front of my chest.

"You look like a little kid, pouting at me like that. It's unfair." He slowly cocks his head to the side as he sits back Indian style on my bed, leaning against the wall.

I roll my eyes at him, annoyed at how easily he can change his tone, and slap his knee playfully and walk out of my room. I hear him trip off my bed and he shoves past me and down the stairs, the smell of bacon cooking finally reaching me as I walk into the kitchen. I inhale deeply, appreciating the aroma and see Casey hug my mom in one of those bear hugs he does, completely lifting her off the floor.

"Oh!" She cries," Good morning you two." She smiles and stand on her tip toes and kisses Casey on his cheek and then comes and hugs me. "I can see my two kids are hungry today." She chuckles and throws some more bacon in the pan, filling the kitchen with the delicious sound of sizzling grease.

Casey grins widely at my mom and snags one off the plate next to the stove and walks into the kitchen, acting like it was his house. I smile at how easy its become since dad left for mom to smile again. I think moving here was a good thing. 

I follow Casey into the living room and drop onto the loveseat since he took up the entire couch with his body. He happily munches on his bacon,completely oblivious to me as I lean over, acting like I'm reaching for the remote. At the last second I snatch the last of his bacon away and jump back as he leaps to his feet.

"Give that back!" He says.

I smile and shove the rest of the piece in my mouth and take off out the french doors, bolting into the woods from my back yard, my Husky, Raine, fast on my heels,thinking I'm playing a game. Not seconds later Casey comes bursting out of the house, but I'm already under the cover of the trees.

Good luck finding me now. I smirk and open up my gait, making each stride longer and longer as I felt my blood begin to sing through my veins. Even though I was barefoot, I never once lost my footing and somehow Raine managed to still keep pace with me, even in the twisted undergrowth. A couple times when I would stop to catch my breath I could hear Casey faintly calling my name, far off now. But I kept running, feeling more alive than I have in a long time.

------------

Elisea

A shudder runs down my spine, and I sit up, looking around frantically, Raine standing guard. When the clearing stays empty I lay back down, rubbing Raine's soft fur.

Elllliiisseaaaa

I frown. What is that. 

I open my eyes and my blood runs cold. The clearing suddenly went from sunny and warm to cold and dark. Shadows stand at the edges, and they begin closing in. Raine's fur rises and a warning growl slips from her menacing snarl. I've never seen her this way, she seems to be bigger, more fierce than usual. All traces of the playful dog gone. She looked like a rabid wolf than a trained house pet.

Seeing her, they paused almost thoughtfully, almost considering their options. Then one stepped forward. Pulling back Its hood revealing the most beautiful grey eyes I had ever seen. But I was becoming light headed. A worried sounding whine came from Raine and as I clung to her warm fur I slipped into unconsciousness.