Chapter 7

"Elisea I don't know if it's a good idea for you to go to school anymore. Maybe we should try the online thing..." My mother says while cooking dinner.
Leaning against the counter I glance at her in confusion. "Ummmmm why would I not go to school Mom?"
"Because. There have been five missing persons in the last month. All kids who go to your school. I just want you to be safe. And I don't think that school is safe anymore."
"Mom they have police officers patrolling inside and around the school now. I'll be fine. Plus we don't have the money to sign up for the online school. So why are we having this conversation?" But she has a point. Xander, Willa, Caleb, George, and Zia.
She sighs and looks at me sadly, "I just want you to be safe. You're all I have left."
Moving across the kitchen I hug her, her head resting on my shoulder. "I'm not going anywhere mom. Besides. I'm too tall to miss." She smiles up at me and turns back to cooking.
"Just like your daddy. We all know you didn't get that from me."

------
Groaning I walk into school, sunglasses on and head straight to class. I haven't seen Casey much since all this started happening I muse to myself taking my seat.
"Hey Lisa." A bright voice snaps me out of my thoughts and I look up to see Raya smiling sweetly. Jace standing close behind her. A stab of guilt flashes through me as I look up at her open face. I've been avoiding her since Willa disappearing, right after I told her I wanted to be friends too.
"Hey." I say smiling back. Not being surrounded by their usual posse I wonder if the hype of new kids has just worn off with all the crazy stuff happening.
Sitting one on either side of me, the position felt somewhat seclusive, like they were corralling me away from the other students. Perplexed I look at Raya.
"Do you have any plans after school?" She asks quietly, looking around.
"Um... I'm not sure, why?" I ask.
"Because we want to invite you over. We have some things we'd like to talk to you about." Jace says looking utterly bored as he stares into his book, glancing at me briefly before looking back to its pages.
Confused I turn towards him. "Like what?"
There's a silence before he smirks and looks at me dead on. Leaning in slowly he stops with his lips just at my ear and whispers, "Like the night you were in the woods and ran into us and some friends." As his words register I remember the night from the clearing, and I clearly remember his face.

I freeze. So it was them. Looking around the class room I see kids talking and laughing, texting or reading. All the familiar noises seem to fade.
Were these guys the reason the students started disappearing? And were they part of some weird cult. Struggling to keep my face blank my mind is a buzz with all the possibilities and questions, thoughts and accusations. I need to get to the bottom of it. But can I get out if I find myself in a situation I'm not sure about? Absentmidndedly I scratch at my bugbite and glare at them, my face answering them for me.
"Just think about it hmm?" Raya says sweetly before returning to her seat with Jace.
Jace however stops in the middle of getting up. "We'll be expecting you after school. You know the way. And I strongly suggest you come." His words send a chill down my spine.

Contemplating on asking Casey for help I spent the ret of the day a nervous wreck. Where was Willa when I needed her? She was definitly into this whole sleuth thing and would know exactly what to do. The bell for last period rings and i slowly walk to my locker, trying to avoid going to the parkinglot. Although they said come to their house, maybe if I waited until everyone was gone I could just go home and think this through.

Stepping out into the bright sun the cold in contrast causes a shiver to slide down my spine. The turning leaves dancing in the trees and the smell of Autumn meets me. Inhaling deeply I start hesding through the almost deserted parking lot, filled only with teachers and a few of the club students cars. I'm brought up short when I see Casey, Jace, and Raya standing by my van talking. Releif washes over me at seeing Casey there and I slowly approach.

"Oh hey Lisa." Raya beams a bright smile at me and I feel a twinge of sadness, this girl I was hoping to be my friend, turns out to be crazy and kidnaps people.

"Uh, hey guys." I mumble while trying to get into my van, but Caseys shoulders firmly pressed against my door seem to stop that plan.

"Whelp, as always its a delight to speak to you Casind, but Jace and I have plans after school, plans that hopefully Lisa wil join in on?" She makes it sound like a question, but the smirk on her face implies that she knows I'll be showing up, whether I want to or not.

Casey's narrowed eyes contrast with his friendly smile as he waves goodbye and the twins disappear into a vehicle nearby.

"Getting chummy with the new kids are we? I thought you didn't like them." Hesays in an accusational tone. Taken back by his sudden hodtility i step back and fumble for my words.

"Uh you're the one who told me to be nice to them in the first place for one, and for two I-"

"I dont care if I'm the one who said thst, since when do you ever listen to me ELisea? I don't like them and I don't want you hanging around with them either, got it?" Feeling heat rise up to my face at being treated like a kid I just explode.

"Excuse you but who the hell do you think you are, after the way you've been treating me since the break in at my house hmm? Why have you been so hostile to me, and why have you been avoiding me? Why is it that when, at one point you felt like the safest place for me, and now you feel like a stranger. You treat me like I'm poison and then turn around and expect me to just do as you say? You know me better than that Casey and you should know by now that that kind of behaviour will NOT work on me. Good bye. Casind."

Shoving his massive shoulder out of my way I jump into my van and slam the door angrily mumbling profanities under my breath I start her up and pull out heading to the road. Glancing in my mirror I see Casey still standing where he was, clutching his shoulder, wih a torn expression on his face. My heart twinges and I take a deep breath, squaring my shoulders and looking ahead to the road. I'm going to the twin's mansion.