Without thinking through the implications, I cop a squat right next to him.

Chelsea is suddenly standing in front of us, her hands on her hips. "One of you better start talking. Because you've both been giving me the shut out all weekend and I'm dying people." She stomps her foot and gives a loud huff. "ADN, got it?"

Emerson's lips are next to my ear, sending more tingles down my neck as he whispers. "A-D-N?"

I turn and look him in the eye. "Any day now. Chelsea is just a little impatient." I can't help but laugh at her expression. She is standing there sulking like a little kid. Well she's is basically a little kid with no impulse control for the most part.

"Oh." Emerson nods in understanding then turns to look at our mutual basket case. He clears his voice and then says, "Got lost in the city, then found the venue. Rocked out to a great band then drove back. Dropped Zoe off then went home and spent the weekend either studying or practicing." Emerson tips his head in my direction. "She was on brat duty. The end."

"Fine.be.like.that." Chelsea slowly emphasis each word before she gives another huff and plops down on the grass in defeat. "BTW that whole "what I did on my weekend" story of yours, Em, royally sucked."

Emerson and I both start laughing. Eventually Chelsea joins in on the joke. She's a handful, but I know she loves me. She's been my one rock solid steady since grade one. My mom wasn't around and my dad has always had expectations of me that I could never meet. Then Dragon Lady showed up and doubled the scrutiny on all the ways I don't measure up. But Chelsea, as nuts as she is, has always been there for me. She's pushed me to not give up on myself. She's encouraged me when I've felt less than I really am. Yeah, she doesn't always listen to what I want, and she thinks she knows what's best for me, but more than anyone else in my life, I can count on Chelsea to be there for me when I need her the most. She's the only one who's ever been completely honest with me, to a fault. Calling me on my shit is her specialty. I need that in my life whether I like it or not.

I scoot closer to her and put my head on her shoulder. Chelsea leans her head on top of mine and Emerson just looks at the two of us with a smile on his face. After a few seconds, however, his smile becomes strained, closer to a grimace.

"Everything cool?" I ask as he runs his hand through his hair. That's his tell that he's nervous about something.

And suddenly I see him trying to find the words. And I wonder what has him in such a fit. And then I realize...Oh shit! He seems to have that expression on his face these days when it comes to his music. The music he wanted me to work on with him! I was so busy avoiding awkwardness that I bailed on him.

"The music!" I sit up. "Oh man, sorry I flaked out all weekend. But hey, we can work on it before practice if you want."

And I realize that Chelsea is just staring at me with a smirk on her face. I've just pulled one of her mind reading tricks. With a guy I am supposed to hate. No way she is ever going to believe there is nothing between Emerson and I now.

Emerson just gives me a nod and a smile. I give him a self-conscious smile back. Chelsea is enjoying this exchange between us way too much.

And for a moment I wonder what is really going on between us? That kiss was something else. And this boy is starting to invade my thoughts on a daily basis. Are we now a couple after the other night? Do I want to be a couple? Even though I'm feeling conflicted about whatever's going on between us, I know that music is what connects us the most. If I want to take things slow, focusing on the song writing is probably the best plan.

 If I want to take things slow, focusing on the song writing is probably the best plan