Downbeat

Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High // Arctic Monkeys

ZOE

It's not long before DF makes his reappearance. If only I had my phone out to record it. Seriously, it is one of those moments that becomes seared into your memory, the kind I'll recall on days that are gloomy and dull because just the thought of the look on DF's face would bring a smile to mine.

And I have to bite the inside of my cheek to keep the smile off of my face in the actual moment.

DF Dylan steps into the garage and for a split second looks confused. He notices right away that the song the guys are running through is new. Then he looks genuinely afraid, as if his worst nightmare has just come true. But almost instantly, it morphs to distain. He's masking the fear with disgust. Too late. I'm onto his trail of tears already.

"What the hell is this?" His words are calm, quiet. Totally disguising his worry with utter control. He knows the hold he has on the guys is slipping. And because he dumped my ass in the most calculated way possible, he also knows his hold on me is nonexistent. He should be afraid.

DF walks over to his drum set and sits on the stool, arms crossed and leaning back on his throne. "Care to explain? Anyone?"

I glance at the guys. Roger is fumbling for something under his keyboard. Josh is suddenly focused on tuning his guitar strings. Only New Guy doesn't appear nervous, but for some reason, he's looking expectantly at me. Looks like I've been nominated to strike first. Fine. I am the Queen after all. Off with his head.

"New track we're messing with," I say casually then walk over to the keyboard where the sheet music is and grab the drum tracks. I lock eyes with DF in a silent challenge and walk the three steps over to him while holding his stare. It might be the first time since the breakup that I've looked him in the eye.

His eyes widen as he takes in my new, green appearance. "What the hell happened to your hair?"

I smirk. DF is the only one to comment on the change. Everyone else just nodded their approval. Apparently Mona doesn't approve, of me or of her BF's notice of the green do.

"Babe, shouldn't you guys get started? We have a hot date tonight."

Barf. Her voice sounds like one of those chipmunk recordings, or someone who's huffed helium. And the thought of the two of them on a 'hot date' makes me nauseous.

DF doesn't respond to his flavor of the month. He snatches the drum sheet from me and looks it over for five seconds before huffing dramatically.

"And how the hell am I supposed to follow these? It's fucking chicken scratches in actual pencil." DF scoffs and tosses the papers to the side.

I glance around to see everyone with raised eyebrows but once again only New Guy is looking right at the beast. Before I even have a chance to say a word, Chelsea beats me to it.

All she does is clear her throat while sitting next to the Level 5 clinger and messing around on her phone. Does she ever put that freaking thing away? Chelsea's little vocalization catches the attention of both of us, New Guy and me. Without looking up from her phone, she nudges her head toward DF.

I look back at New Guy, standing only a foot away on the homemade stage and clinging to his bass like a life raft on the Titanic. He closes his eyes and takes a deep breath, then puts his bass down and stumbles over to the drums.

"Oh, uh, here..." New Guy motions to the drums and DF actually gets up and steps aside, muttering something to himself. New Guy takes a seat and demonstrates the simple rhythm while counting it off.