Chapter Nine

Niall's P.O.V

Dammit.

Switching my phone to silent- (I was sick of interrupting phone calls)- I rush out to the parking lot, just in time to see Harry's car roll up.

'Hey driver,' I greet him, sidling into the front seat, shutting the car door and sinking in the leather seat. 'You always have to spoil things.'

I was having a great coffee, actually, with an amazing girl, and of course a phone call had to ruin it. It was kind of fun teasing Maeve... she was tough, unlike Amy..

What the hell? I'm actually comparing Maeve to Amy. What's wrong with me?

'Is this Maeve? Or Amy?'

I chose my words carefully. 'I was having a coffee with Maeve, to catch up, since we went to DEP together.'

'DEP? What is DEP?' Harry stared at me, looking utterly confused. 'Honestly Niall, sometimes you speak absolute rubbish.'

I rolled my eyes. 'Yeah, coming from a dude who-'

'Do not finish that sentence,' warns Harry. 'We are picking Louis up from the airport, you idiot. And don't complain- you just had half an hour with a totally gorgeous girl.'

I frowned- I didn't like Harry calling Maeve McDonald gorgeous.

'You know what, I wanna meet her,' continues Harry, smirking, gripping the steering wheel and braking rather harshly at the red light. Red light. Harry steering. Which jolted my memory.

'Shit Hazza, you're not meant to be driving!'

'Not you too,' moans Harry, accelerating and bursting off. 'Just drop the subject, please. I'm perfectly fine with driving and nobody will know. I'm Harry Styles, for God's sake!'

I glower. 'Yeah, and I'm Niall Horan. I thought Lou was picking me up?'

'LOUIS, you ninny, is at the airport and we're-' he gestured vaguely towards us two- 'picking him up, since the others are too lazy to drive.'

'Yeah, but why you?' I sulk. 'I could be with Mae- Amy!'

Harry shoots me a look. 'Isn't Amy coming on tour with us?'

'Oh yeah.' I tried to sound happy, but I didn't. Did I really beg Paul to allow my girlfriend to come with us? Hmm. My priorities clearly need to be sorted, because after having a casual coffee with Maeve, I-

Don't even complete that thought, Nialler, I told myself.

'Geez, there's a bloke who sounds enthusiastic. Tell you what, we need dancers for our concert. Do you know a place- well, do you know someone who could get contact someone for us?'

'Maeve's a dancer,' I say slowly. 'And I'm sure she's a good one. I mean, her legs are-'

I redden. I do not want to admit in front of Harry that I had been checking out another girl while dating Amy.

Harry playfully nudges me in the shoulder. 'Yeah, I'm sure her ass is great.'

I have to put up with this for half an hour. Deep shit.

MAEVE'S P.O.V

'Live while we're young!' Jackie cheers, dancing around, twirling on her feet, moving fast.

I sigh. Any more One Dimension songs and I'm dead. We've been dancing for about five million hours. I've perfected this dance during classes; I didn't really need Jackie to teach me.

'How about we unwind and watch some TV,' I suggest, hoping like hell that she'll say yes.

'Yeah, sure,' Jackie grins, bounding downstairs.

I follow her warily. My limbs ache after all that 'grooving' to One Dim- One Direction. At any moment she might break into some more hip hop.

'Oh my god! Maeve! One Direction are on TV!' she squeals from downstairs.

Refraining from sighing, I stump downstairs, rubbing my arms as I headed for the living room, before spotting Patrick lurking near the couch, watching Jackie, his mouth agape. He looks a bit like a gorilla, actually.

'Niall Horan and his girlfriend, Amy Goldsheen, attend Goldsheen's premiere to her new movie two weeks ago,' states the guy on television, as a picture of Horan and a blondie pop up on screen.

My heart sinks. I should have known a guy like Niall would have a girlfriend. He was hot, he was sort of nice, and he was funny. But he was still a jerk head.

'Oh god, not that bitch,' shrieks Jackie, chucking a cushion at the screen. 'She's a gold digger, Niall baby. Dump her!'

Amy Goldsheen, huh, I think bitterly, Jackie's complaints deaf to my ears.

Amy Goldsheen was an actress. A famous actress, a good actress, a gorgeous actress, a famous, good, gorgeous actress. I can't help frowning as I stare at the television screen. It was right, I guess. Two celebrities dating each other.

I finally tune into Jackie, who was still jabbering on about her love for Niall, and what a no-good bitch Goldsheen was.

'She honestly thinks she's the real thing,' snickers Jackie, her eyes glinting dangerously. 'She's nothing. Seriously, that American slut-'

Uh oh. Things were getting a bit out of hand. Jackie was being really judgemental.

'She's probably not that bad,' I try to soothe Jackie, but she was definitely in a mood.

'I'm just SOO honoured to be here right now,' the actress Goldsheen gushes on TV, clutching Niall's arm.

I stare at the couple. It was hard to believe that I met that pop star two days ago, talked to him, had a drink with him. It was almost surreal.

'It's been a fabulous experience, shooting this movie, and Niall's been with me, 100% of the way,' she smiles, showing her perfect, straight teeth. She cuddles to Horan, gazing up at him adoringly.

I turn off the TV abruptly and so suddenly Jackie jumped up and stared at me.

'You're right,' I murmur. 'She is a bitch.'

'You're hiding something.' Jackie narrows her eyes at me from across the coffee table. Jackie's been my best friend for a long time. She can tell when I'm lying, what I'm keeping back, what's hurting.

I tell her, strategically leaving out the bits about my confusing feeling when I look Niall in the eye. I don't think Jackie would take kindly to that.

'Oh god, Maevey, this means...' gasped Jackie, 'this means...'

A lot, I know. I grin. Maybe she-

'I could meet Nialler baby since you've met him!'

Oh.