Chapter 28: Farewell Part II

Start from the beginning

I cried

I cried. No, sobbed. Harder than I had in a while. This letter had been the last thing I expected, and somehow all the anger I had felt for him over the past couple of years seemed to just melt away. The anger didn't matter anymore. Anger wasn't going to bring him back.

A new emotion crept in. Love. I couldn't bring him back. I couldn't erase the pain, or the hurt. But I could cherish the memories I still had of him. I could cherish the love he made me feel. I could paint his memory in joy instead of sorrow.

The photograph, now a bridge between past and present, found a new home on my dresser. "I love you too dad," I spoke to the photograph, wiping away my tears. The room held the hush of the sentimental moment.

Tyrone's voice echoed from downstairs, beckoning me to join the festivities. "Come on, Serenity! The barbecue is in full swing, and we're about to cut the cake!" he called. I took a moment to compose myself, fixing my mascara and smoothing down my attire. With a steadying breath, I made my way downstairs. The laughter and chatter growing louder with each step.

Upon stepping outside, the heat from the summer sun embraced me, and quickly everyone shouted welcomes in my direction. The backyard was adorned with colorful decorations and my heart swelled with gratitude for the supportive community of people gather today.

Wes, Joey, and I: The trio, united in this milestone, approached a table adorned with a grand cake. The cake bore edible images of our faces. The crowd erupted in cheers as I, Wes, and Joey stood side by side, our arms wrapped around each other.

"On the count of three!" someone called from the crowd.

On three, a unified exhale extinguished the candles. Applause rang out, a symphony of celebration that echoed through the backyard.

As the cheers subsided, I looked around, taking in the faces of everyone smiling in glee.

The backyard buzzed with the lively chatter of family and friends, the aroma of barbecue lingering in the air. Amidst the celebration, Kenji's mischievous chant of "Give a speech, give a speech!" rose above the joyful cacophony. Wes and Joey, quick on their feet, darted away, leaving me standing alone at the center of attention.

A ripple of laughter spread through the crowd as all eyes turned to me, and I took a moment to collect my thoughts, a warm smile playing on my lips. The spontaneity of the moment didn't faze me; instead, it fueled a burst of gratitude that I was eager to share.

"Okay, okay, you asked for it!" I playfully exclaimed, stepping forward to claim the makeshift podium that was an overturned crate. The backyard hushed into an expectant silence as I cleared my throat.

"Firstly, I want to thank everyone for being here today. It means the world to me to celebrate this moment with all of you," I began. I turned toward Coen's mom, who stood among the crowd next to my mom. "Thank you, Miss Helen. Your love and encouragement have been a guiding light through the school year. As my gaze shifted, my eyes landed on my family. The bedrock of my support system.