04 // Pressure

{over-dramatic, automatically assume I'll stay the same}

Living right down the road from Cecily certainly had its cons, but the older I got, I realized there were more and more pros to the proximity of my best friend. This was one of those times, where I would smile to myself and thank my lucky stars I had someone who loved me so close to where I lived.

She popped in the DVD -- a copy of the classic 80s flick, Heathers -- and sat down next to me with a bowl of popcorn in her lap. Like me, Cecily still lived at home, but due to the busy travel schedules of both of her parents, she had the house to herself most of the time, which undoubtedly fueled her addiction to partying. However, it gave us plenty of time for girls' nights like this one, where we lounged around in our favorite pairs of pajamas and watched whatever movies or TV shows we felt like watching.

Girls' nights were the one occasion where Cecily and I avoided fighting like the plague. It was a rule since we were in middle school: girls' nights were for movies, eating whatever the fuck we wanted, and bonding, not fighting.

So when I said I wanted to watch Heathers, Cecily didn't even blink. She didn't agree with me -- at least, not out loud -- but she didn't disagree. She just slipped in the DVD and made popcorn for us.

"So," she said,sitting down and holding the bowl of popcorn out to me, "what's going on with you and Matty? I'm not starting the movie until you tell me," she added.

I sighed overdramatically. "Really, Cec? I'm pretty sure you're the only one who thinks anything's going on between him and me. You're the only one who wants anything to happen between us."

Cecily laughed. "That is definitely not true. But whatever you say, I'll believe you . . . for now." She winked at me, finally picking up the remote and starting the movie.

I sighed, glad I dodged that bullet. There was definitely nothing happening between Matty and I -- and I hoped it would stay that way. I never liked him that much anyway. But I could tell Cecily was shipping it. I couldn't put my finger on why -- Matty and I had hated each other for just about as long as I could remember; it wasn't about to change. Nevertheless, I wasn't wanting to have a conversation about it with her. I was afraid she might succeed in convincing me that there was something there.

We watched the opening credits roll in silence, save for the loud crunching of the popcorn. But a couple of minutes into the movie, Cecily's doorbell rang.

I turned and looked at her questioningly. She didn't, no, she wouldn't invite someone else to our night alone. It was always just the two of us.

"Who's that?" I asked cautiously, ready to break the rule about fighting in a heartbeat if it were necessary.

"No clue," she said, passing the popcorn to me and standing up, "but I'll find out."

I paused the movie and listened intently as Cecily opened the door. However, all I heard were squeals from her and low whispered voices from whoever was at the door.

"OH MY GOD!"

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?"

"HOW ARE YOU?"

"COME ON IN, IT'S JUST ME AND ELOISE HERE!"

"Eloise and me," I corrected under my breath as Cecily and her guests came into the living room.

"El!" an excited yell came from behind me. I should have fucking known. I cringed. Not him. Not now.

I groaned loudly as I turned around without bothering to get up off the couch. "Are you kidding me, Cecily?" My eyes passed right over Matty, who walked into the room first, to my friend as she trailed in behind him. "This was supposed to be a girls' night!"