Chapter Fourteen

[Jack]

"Did you miss me ?"

I groaned at his sentence. "What are you doing here ?!" I growled,raising my staff and ready to send ice. Pitch slightly laughed,raising his hands,as if surrendering. "I'm not here to fight. I'm here to give you…" He took something from his back. And our eyes widened at what we saw.

"This."

Tooth cases. One was mine. Next ? It was a girl's… And the girl looks like Tiffa. "That's Tiffa's tooth case !" Tooth yelled.

"Well,yes it is." Pitch shrugged,playing with those. "But where is she ?"

"Stop your games…" North pulled his swords out. "Give our guardian back." He said in his threatening russian accent. Pitch laughed,then tossed the tooth cases. "There ya go then."

I gasped,flying off to catch them. Pitch smirked a bit. "Here's a friendly tip," He crossed his arms. "She's inside her case."

"What ?!" Tooth flew over to me,taking it. "My tooth cases don't do that !"

"But my sand did." Pitch laughed. "Oh. It was almost Christmas when we last met,correct ?" He took another thing behind his back.

"Merry Christmas." He laughed,then tossed something metal to the ground. And it was… Tiffa's staff…

"It took me eight months to hold that. It was too hot." Pitch scoffed. "But anyways,let's see if you can get her back." He chuckled,then dissolved in the shadows.

"Good luck~!"

I went to her staff. It was glowing red… What's with it ? Last time,it was yellow. Pinkish red when we were together. Flaring orange when she was angry. Red…? Maybe danger…?

But that wasn't important. The thing is…

How should I get her from her past ?

"She's not literally in the past."

I blinked,then turned to the ceiling,where the moon was seen,shining brightly.

I think everyone heard it. Because they were looking at the moon too. My eyebrows furrowed.

"Her memories were just replaced by the sand in the case. It made her think she never died and became a guardian."

My eyes widened. So… She's still around ? "But we looked for her everywhere ! For eight months !" Tooth flew over next to me,looking up. "Why didn't we find her ?"

"You wouldn't recognize her." Manny said. "But she's in Burgess."

Pang. As soon as I heard Burgess,I gripped my staff,then flew off. Burgess. Burgess. All the time. Why didn't I notice ? What's with me ? Damn it…

Gently placing the tooth cases in my hoodie pocket,I flew faster. "Wind !" I passed by a pole and held on it,looking around. "Take me to Burgess !"

Following,a strong flash of wind started blowing me to Burgess. But I wasn't laughing,like usual. This is Tiffa we are talking about,and even though we only got the chance to be friends for two weeks,I have this weird feeling for her…

Shake it off. I still have to get her back.

Sighing,the wind slowed down and I placed my feet on the ground. And as soon as I did…

"Stop acting like a seven year old ! You're 17,Summers. 17 !"

I turned my head sideways,seeing a small crowd of kids,surrounding a girl. She was small,about 4'11 in height. Two short strands of hair looked like tiny pigtails beside her violet eyes,which was sparkling in tears. Her hair was slightly orange… And it was down. Straight,and reaches her waist. Just like… Tiffa… But… Kinda different…

"I-I just want to make friends !"

"Well,you always make a mess of stuff."

I narrowed my eyes at the kid who said that,placing my staff over my shoulder. That's rude for a kid talking to someone 8-10 years old older than them..

The girl tried wiping her tears off with her arms,sniffling and having hiccups. Hands slightly fisted and trembling,she turned around,then ran back to a house.

Curiousity got me. So I followed after her. Going straight to her room window,I saw her sit on her bed. Moving and leaning against her bedframe,hugging her knees and looking down. Her slightly skinny frame trembled as she tried calming herself down. That's just upsetting… She seemed alone. Should I enter ?

No. Stop it,Jack. This isn't Tiffa. You still have to look for your friend.

Sighing,I decided to fly off. And sit on a bench in the park.

"Tsk tsk."

I blinked,looking up at the moon. "Huh ?"

"Use your case."

My eyebrows furrowed,standing up. "Why ? Hey Manny,is it about Tiffa ?"

.........

I scoffed. Of course. I slumped back on the bench,groaning and taking my tooth case out. Staring at the picture placed in it's bottom,the one with me having brown hair and eyes.

Leaning back against the bench,I sighed,then pressed the button.