58| perspective

| Chapter 58 |

| Chapter 58 |

| perspective |

"Okay," Bree's mother sighed heavily and chucked the file she'd been running through on the coffee table, before pulling off her reading glasses. "What's going on?"

Bree's eyes slid away from the television screen and landed on her mum sitting on the couch opposite hers.

"What?"

"You haven't been yourself the entire time, ever since you came home for the weekend," her mother explained, a small frown marring her face. "Is this something like a Chase situation again? Because I don't want you keeping me in the dark like last time. I'm still your mum, Bree, and you don't have to carry the whole weight by yourself when there's something upsetting you."

"Mum, can you relax? It's nothing big--" Bree's voice cut off when she realised that it was in fact something big.

Her mother just lifted a brow in response, obviously not buying what Bree was trying to sell her.

She sighed, "Okay, fine. Maybe it's something big. Maybe..."

"What?" Her mother asked softly, unfolding her legs and leaning forward a bit.

Bree's mind raced. She could never tell Claire this, and while there was a good chance Dale knew about Nick's background, Bree couldn't talk to him in a way where she could just unload and spill her heart out. He was more of Nick's person than hers. But her mother, on the other hand, would always be her person -- and it was much easier to just let her in than self destruct with all the bottling-up Bree was doing lately.

She needed to tell something. To someone. Or Bree would lose her mind at this rate.

"Nick and I..." she started, her voice low and hoarse, her eyes already growing wet at the mere mention of his name. "We're, um, having issues."

"Okay," her mum said slowly, dragging the word out. "Okay, how -- how bad are these issues?"

"Pretty bad," Bree murmured, feeling her throat constrict as she looked away from her mother's concerned gaze. "I -- we split. Broke up. You know."

Bree could see her mother shift from her peripheral vision. "I'm sorry to hear that, Bree," she told her quietly. "It's... it's honestly such a surprise. The last time I saw the two of you together, everything seemed as normal and happy as they could be between two people. I can't see how it came to the point of a break-up within a week."

The words sat on Bree's tongue, but she had no clue what she'd sound like if she let them out. Would she sound insane? Like she had lost her mind completely? Even when Nick had confessed to her, he hadn't done so verbally -- he'd pointed out the headlines in a newspaper about the cartel. Because even he had known how ridiculous and unbelievable it'd make him sound to actually say the words out loud.