46| moments

for Rockstar_Zia ❤

for Rockstar_Zia

| Chapter 46 |

moments |

[...continues where previous chap ended]

By the time the popular brunch hours had passed by and lunch time rolled around, the crowd had thinned in the diner, until only a few of the booths were occupied.

But Bree knew tonight was going to be another story -- The Quake was always packed on Friday and Saturday nights because the following day was a weekend. She'd be closing up earlier than usual tonight though, because her mother would be leaving to attend yet another one of those lawyers' seminars -- this time being held in Manhattan.

Maya would be going with their mum as usual, both of them leaving tonight even though the event was scheduled for tomorrow noon. Her mother was always organised and cautious like that. And during the three days it would take for them to return, The Quake would close up for the night much earlier than usual.

Bree's eyes flickered towards the door of the diner, where the sign saying they were open hung, along with their working hours. She made a mental reminder to swap the signs later -- they had a separate one for occassions like these, where the altered closing time was dispayed.

"What're you thinking?" Nick's lazy drawl came from across her, where he was done with his meal that she'd stolen a considerate amount of fries from. His plate was discarded to the side, his left hand on the table between them, playing around with Bree's fingers.

"Nothing," Bree returned with a small sigh, turning her gaze away from the door and meeting his eyes instead. "Just reminding mysef to close up early tonight."

"Why?" Nick's voice came out muffled as he lifted his free hand to cover the sudden yawn. He pushed his chair further in and then laid his cheek on the table, appearing a little drowsy.

"Mum doesn't like me doing it late when she's not home for the night," Bree replied, reaching out and slipping a hand over his head, running her fingers loosely through strands of his hair. "You have really dry hair," she commented absentmindedly.

A snort left Nick's mouth, and Bree watched his eyes flutter shut momentarily at her touch. It made her chest feel full and warm.

"You should condition it more often," Bree murmured, a teasing smile on her lips despite knowing he couldn't see it. "There's a difference between shampooing and conditioning, if you didn't know."

"Don't tell me how to take a shower," Nick sounded exasperated.

"Then do it right," she said in a singsong voice, playfully tugging at his hair.