Graduation Ball

Returning to Boston for their ball held at Leeuw Grand Hall, Victor and Lara took their own ride and went ahead.

'You've been so aloof lately since you returned from Thailand' Xander was having lunch with Rachel in Lower Manhattan.

'I need to adjust living back in the city so no time wasted on writing to continue earning. I caught up with Steve' she came clean, and his eyes lit. 'I know Lara told me' Xander didn't seem upset.

'Did something happen?' Xander was very much composed, after all it is his upbringing from nobility. 'No, not at all' Rachel said, even though she wished something would have happened. 'I know I'm not in music or art, but you do know that I always try be my best for you' Xander clarified and put his message across the table, and she acknowledged his words with a smile.

'Do you have plans for the summer?' Rachel asked as she swirled her for on her pasta bowl. 'Nothing concrete but definitely have to enjoy it while it's still there. I heard Victor and Lara are going to Italy, would you want us to join them' he asked, though Rachel was unsure as Lara hadn't spoke to her properly since she returned from Thailand and things became worse since Lincoln Center. 'I don't know, we'll talk to them first and see how it goes' Rachel took finished her cup of cappuccino, wiped her mouth from froth and caffeine residue. They beaded off to Boston, for one last time.

With their ball gowns and black tie in Lewis Grand Hall, everyone was dresses to the nines. Rachel wore a light blue dress hand-sewn with crystals and was a part of her brother's haute couture collection that made its showcase in Paris, London and Milan Fashion Weeks and was featured by W Magazine. Alef Gulf Magazine also featured his collection, having been popular among the sheikhas of the Gulf and was also a favourite of Crown Princesses of Scandinavia.

At the entrance of the Leeuw Grand Hall, Xander and Rachel were seen together by Lara; she wore a light red crepe de chine ball gown with a mini train to add designed by Elie Saab. Relieved to see them together, and everything seemed fine. Steve arrived late, and planned to leave the ball early.

'It's good to see you together' Lara greeted them, though Rachel felt a cold vibe from her but she shrugged it off. 'Let me just have a word with Brian and some acquaintances' Xander approached Frank, Coach Brian who were with some guys from the football team.

'Hi, I miss you' Rachel approached Lara, who was with Victor and several friends from her class. 'I'm sorry, I stormed off the other night' she appreciated Lara's apologies. 'Nothing happened, it's Steve and not some psycho' Rachel explained taking a deep breath. 'I'm sorry for overreacting' Lara further apologised, and Steve came in to the Grand Hall.

'Xander mentioned that you and Victor are going on a summer trip to Europe' Rachel was in the hopes of joining them, unless she has better things to do. However after all, this is what being young is all about. Taking chances. Exploring possibilities. Getting on new worlds. Maybe, just maybe some are for exploration while the other is for settlement.

The group dynamics already feel the change of times, and this is just the start of all the existential crises and transitions they all will be facing, alone or together whether as a couple or as a friend.

'I had been looking forward to seeing you and glad you made it' a woman with a familiar voice said. Rachel turned around 'Hannah' her smile we as beyond priceless. Hannah pulled many strings to help her promising student stand out further. 'I am not willing to wait until tomorrow but well done... you made it into Rhodes' Hannah couldn't contain her joy as her smile said it all. 'You have a voice, and it'll be such a waste to give it a shot'. It was taking some time for it sink in to Rachel's head. 'We can talk more about it over the course of the coming weeks but please don't sleep on it' upon sharing the news to her student, she took another flute of champagne and headed to her faculty friends.

Lara and Victor heard all of it, and Xander was walking towards them. 'Hello beautiful ladies' he greeted them. Rachel's smile and eyes were glimmering with happiness, 'hi'. Steve saw them from afar and walked to join them.

'Don't start the fun without me' he suddenly became charismatic and confident. 'I'm moving after graduation' Rachel announced, as if she had already decided right there and then upon listening to Hannah.

'I'm accepting the Rhodes scholarship' much to their surprise. 'Congratulations' Steve was sincere about it, and smiled upon thinking on the idea of visiting her or taking some music course to be with her.

Xander felt shattered, 'congrats babe' out of dutiful politeness, as being farther from her isn't ideal. Lara felt envious while Victor didn't really feel anything as they aren't close anyhow but said their congratulatory remarks.

'I thought we will be in New York together' Xander confronted her. Rachel placed her hand on his face, tenderly touching him 'opportunities like this don't come every day, yet I also know being with you isn't an opportunity that come every day.'

Xander took a deep breath 'will it make you happy to take the scholarship' he asked. 'Yes' Rachel answered.