P20. Forgive Me

"Sorry." Fatima said behind me.

"No big deal." I told her, pressed the wounds as it healed on its own. "It's just a scratch."

The tickling sensation kept going on, reached the level of irritatingly disturbing, especially after I looked at how pathetic Bryan kept reload his gun and moved in a speed that exhausted both his physical and mental. He was sweating like a swine, his face turned red and his breathing turned into trail of short gasped. All while the bio electric waves coming in between Dimitri and him.

"Leutnant Dimitri." I turned around and faced him. The name itself leave something sour to my mouth. I leapt to Bryan, knocked off his gun from him and use the weapon to dodge incoming bullets. "Tonight you're full of surprise."

The gun didn't last long, for sure. It wasn't made by Alterium. So I use the last bit of the steel weapon to protect myself from one of the bullets that coming out to me. The bullet blew up my hand, but I didn't give a damn. It didn't take too long for Bryan to get a new gun, so I took that soldier's arm before any attacks followed suit, and spun it, and took over his gun.

Dimitri swung his chains to me. "This man had to pay the consequences for his own foolishness."

I recalled the moment where Bryan objected my presence in the camp. He mentioned about a Maha that betrayed them. "He helped you."

"Yes." That was the only thing I need to know. "And I am giving my best to—

I didn't give him permission to finish his words. I didn't need to.

Fatima held as many bullets as she could while I was dodging it one by one. I noticed the camera on their helmet—all of them—was turned on, send this battle's footage right to superiors.

But strangely, it didn't bother me at all.

While we were fighting, many things crossed my minds all of sudden: this man's behavior—my own behavior, my kind's intention, our invasion to this planet, the promise humanity gave to us thousands years ago, the true nature between us; everything. Questions came to my mind.

Why were we fighting?

Why didn't I go against Humans just like before?

Strangely enough, all those questions appeared at a time like this, of all time, from all ages I've spent on living in this universe. Whether I was an empty shell or the present me was on crack, I didn't know for sure. I didn't want—need—to know.

My mind was like split in two. I knew this was all wrong. I was wrong. He was the one who stood for the right side. Humanity was supposed to be perished along with their greed. We were on the right path on destroying humans, claimed this planet as ours just like what they promised us long time ago; once they had used flame to set both sky and Earth ablaze.

But if that's the case,

How were we any different from them?

"I was told not to put any scratch on you." Dimitri told as he launched another attack. "You will rewrite anew for treason, Nathaniel."

In the past, I would've agreed with him instantly. This was a pure, complete and brutal treason.

I was standing on his way, stood by the side of undoubtedly the dumbest race in universe, simply because someone of them poisoned me with drug that nullified my intelligence and bring this damnation called feelings—humanity—to this empty vassal made by iron and blood.

"I believe in you."

"Be careful."

They were really a bunch of idiots. Yet, I couldn't bring myself to let them perished.

"I didn't betray anyone, Leutnant." I stopped attacking him. "I just disagree with this unnecessary chaos. There has to be another way of solving this problem."

Dimitri stopped attacking as well. "They had nothing to give. They bring doomed to themselves. They betrayed our promise."

That was undeniable truth. "Then do you think take this planet was the correct answer?" I asked him the most intriguing question of my mind. "Do you think, if we tak over this planet, everything will get better? Without we turn into them as well one day?"

Dimitri stood in silence, but somehow I could feel his disgust radiated through the air.

"We once the last generations, Leutnant." I said. "Didn't you remember why we were eradicated before? Didn't our ancestors did the same mistake as these humans once?"

I could see Bryan was shocked with my reaction. Meanwhile, Dimitri could no longer contained his chains. He unleashed all on me at once.

"Failure." He replied curtly. "Ares was wrong about you all along."

I didn't know what he was talking about, but somehow, this vassal knew it. My chest tightened and my mind recoiled from his words alone. One of his chains got me. Fatima screamed as I was pulled away by force. But with intention in mind, I followed his pull and gave him a kick on his face, at the same time when he kicked my stomach.

In the corner of my eyes, Bryan slowly moved, pointing his gun to us, right at Dimitri's head that was about to turn around. That man slowly pulled a smile across his bleeding lips, blood that I didn't realize was there.

"Forgive me."

He smiled at me, similar to someone in the past that sacrifice himself for my freedom. Tears of blood trickled down on his cheeks as his eye bleed. He fought against the mind control too hard. His brain was literally melted through seven holes on his face as he tried to move his gun, not at me, but at Dimitri who was distracted by my close presence to him.

He murmured something, so low that I couldn't do anything but decipher it before he shot Dimitri, right at his head.

Good bye

***