14. Like nothing happened

Downstairs was filled with tension and silence, you, Diane, and King sat quietly in the room. You all were worried sick and craving for an explanation. You tried to recover from the shock and fix your act, but it was useless, the nervousness made you bite your lower lip and your fingers fiddle your sleeves. Elizabeth had gone to heal Meliodas upstairs, you all waited for her to come down to tell the news. The minutes felt longer than ever before. All of you unprepared turned towards the door as you heard it open behind you. Escanor and Merlin stepped in.

"What a hello with those looks on your faces." Merlin marks up.

Escanor worriedly and cautiously follows her inside saying weaver greetings and all the three of you are unable to respond.

Merlin pulls out a chair and turns it back on to the table it was around, then sits on it and crosses her legs. She leans back and places her elbows onto the table. She looks at everyone with her usual smile.

"Cat got your tongues?"

Your fingers stop and you lift your head to face her, "it's just about Meliodas he, " you pause even though your act seems pretty collected she notices the horror in your voice and she lifts her brows in surprise. "He's seriously injured and no one knows why." You finish.

"I see, well Escanor and I succeed on the mission so there's something good to think about. Anyway, I'm afraid I'll have to leave now."

Above everything you're feeling you can't help but add disappointment into them. Your head falls back down and you bite your lip even harder.

"What do you mean leaving? Aren't you gonna check up on Captain?!" Diane raises her voice with teary eyes.

"Yes, I and Merlin-san have urgent business to deal with Arthur-sama so we'll be leaving as soon as possible." Escanor's calm unconfident voice responds.

Merlin stands up, "Elizabeth is with him there's nothing I could help more with." She turns towards the door and stops. "Not like he is going to die anyway."

She steps outside and Escanor follows quickly behind her.

You hesitated, did you really hear what she just said. You all heard steps in the stairs so you couldn't give it any more thoughts. Elizabeth rushed downstairs with a relieved face. You stood up, "he's okay?" your voice sounded more worried than what you showed to others. She nodded, "his totally fine!"

"Thank God! He must stop making us worry like this, Captain is so reckless." Diane let out as relieved as everyone with a little tease in her voice.

Elizabeth set her eyes on you before speaking again, "and he asked me to send you upstairs it was something about your father or so, he said." Her expression was curious.

Cold shivers overtook your body and you felt worried again. You froze completely.

"Y/n?"

"Oh yeah umm yeah sure okay." You tried and started walking towards the staircase.

-

You stopped by the door you weren't sure you wanted to hear what he has to say, whether you wanted to see him alone. Determined you opened the door slowly.

He stood there cheery and large bandages covered his ribs.

"Oi Y/n!" He said as he noticed you'd entered the room.

Before your eyes met his you turned your gaze away, "you said you had something to tell me."

He picked up his shirt from a chair next to him, "yeash it's about Gloxinia. Like I suppose you were told."

You sighed and rolled your eyes, "Eli mentioned my father indeed."

"Well then my information isn't waterproofed, but I heard rumors he has left the ten commandments, I suppose he works alone now." He explained while putting his shirt on.

Confused you stared him into the eye, "that's all?"

He nodded.

"So where were you." You fired.

"Dealing with business." He responded smiling.

"Aha, what kind of work includes making everyone worry about you like this." You looked at him disappointed.

"Were you worried?" The playfulness in his tone annoyed you, how could he make a joke about this situation he really hasn't grown up has he?

"I can't believe you."

His smile lowered into a tiny smirk, " if you really wanna know I paid a friendly visit to my brothers."

Your eyes widen and anger grows inside you, is he being serious or what?

"Oh yeah why didn't I think about that because it's so reasonable and like not dangerous at all, like see you came back barely alive so everything must be just fine, because um there is like no one who cares about you or so. And because it's okay to make people worry and cause them suffering from waiting with the question whether you're alive or dead. It just doesn't matter, does it? As long as you get to be the hero nothing else matters. Perfect. Just so that we're clear yesterday was a mistake if you even care or remember or whatever." You looked at him, but his expression hadn't changed a bit during your ranting. You sighed and opened the door.

"And oh Merlin and Escanor left to Camelot I think." You stepped to the hallway and slammed the door behind you.

You continued downstairs and stormed towards the door, silent questions of Diane and Eli ringed between your ears, but you were unable to answer or understand them, you just kept walking. You continued your way towards the forest and decided to cool down somewhere far away from him.

-

You sat on a tree branch pretty far and played with water droplets you gathered from leaves around you. You couldn't believe what you heard. Probably you should've seen this coming but the memory of him approaching the tavern ached, both physically and emotionally. Your feet felt even sorer from the jump than you thought, but since you hadn't fully paid attention to them because of all the other things that happened. You moved the water mass towards your bare feet and spread it. You whispered something on ancient language and suddenly the water absorbed into your soles. They felt noticeably better. It was disappointing that your emotional wounds won't be so easily healed with a couple of droplets of water, so you leaned back on the tree and looked at the view. You saw many many kilometers of woods ahead even though it was getting pretty dark.

You didn't know where to go, you didn't know where you wanted to go. Well, you didn't want to go back to look at his annoying face, that was for sure. He mentioned your father, Gloxinia left the commandments, huh. Well, that could be a bluff to lure you into a trap, but did it really matter right now? Why would you even wanna find out whether the rumor is true or not? Ugh, nothing seemed like a good option to do. At times like this, you just wished you had never left on that damn island. The outside world was just too complicated at least when you were alone there was nothing to worry about. Less to think. You lived carelessly and just like you wanted to, everything was perfect.

A/n

Long time huh? Apologies for this short update... Atm I'm in Spain on our cabin, but luckily we have wifi in here I don't know how active it will make me tho... Anyway I've started writing this chapter last time I posted one so sorry if it seems badly written or so. AND THANK YOU GUYS for all the kind supporting comments it gives me boost to write it really does❤️ love ya

word count 1200