Chapter forty five: Forever.

One month later:

He was leaning against the handle of the trolly, his eyes skimming along the aisle walls. He was collecting the vitals. He wanted to get away today...grocery shopping was the best excuse he could think of. He thought staying over wouldn't have been such a big problem, but he couldn't handle seeing you waltz around...to not be able to touch you, to kiss you. The moments you spent with Suga, with Oikawa - tearing at his chest and so that's why today, he'd offered to take Ryūrō out - maybe give you a break seems you'd been in mom-mode continuously since your son had arrived.

He looked down at the little one, who stuck his tongue out at the presence of his fathers attention. It was now one of his favourite things to do - that and arching his eyebrows...which Kuroo found fondly comical. Ryūrō was beginning to come into himself a little, freckles painted his cherub cheeks, his hair having grown a little. He liked baths and when Kuroo blew on his tiny stomach, evading little squeals into the air.

Kuroo sighed, he knew soon they'd have to break out of their little bubble - they couldn't keep ditching class and he couldn't keep missing practise. But for now he was enjoying the perks fatherhood gave him - like the little joy of waking up to spend an entire day with his son, getting to introduce him to new things and people... he planned on showing him the sunset soon - once he'd grown a little, to drive out of the city and show him the smooth horizon.

He reached grabbing a sushi making kit, holding it in front of the adjustable car seat,"What do you think lil' buddy? Should I try making sushi tonight?"

Ryūrō stared arching his little brows. Kuroo sighed sticking out his bottom lip,"your mom liked it when I made sushi," he remembered how you looked under the dappled sunlight, the way your hair fell gracefully upon your shoulders, how you'd laughed,"Oh well-," he returned the item and reached grabbing another bag,"how about regular chicken wings?"

Ryūrōs little eyes widened at the brightly coloured bag, sticking his tongue out in response, Kuroo smirked,"chicken wings it is," he shifted throwing the bag into the shopping cart,"excellent choice Ryū."

He shifted at the feeling of buzzing in his pocket, moving to bring his phone up to his ear,"y'llo?"

"Hey man, where you to?," Bokutos voice sounded, Kuroo looked down at Ryū who was arching his little eyebrows, he moved booping him on the nose, a little smirk spreading across the babys lips.

"Uh, I'm out shopping - what's up?"

"You know where (l/n) is right?"

Kuroo felt a tug at his chest,"n-no, I'm supposed to be respecting her space remember? We're not together, I didn't a-."

"She's out with Oikawa," Bokutos voice chirped, sending Kuroo to halt in his spot. Oikawa had appeared several times lately, interacting with you and your son - it was painful for Kuroo to watch, not to mention that he loathed how smug the ex-Aobajohsai player always was. Regardless you were just co-parents right? This was nothing to do with him.

"Bokuto I told you," he set his jaw,"you don't need to tell me-."

"Mate, I think they're on like an actual date-."

Kuroo felt his teeth grit. Imagining the two of you fawning over each other, laughing and kissing...the way he and you used to - except when Kuroo saw the two of you interact, it never seemed natural, as though a lot of effort was put into every action - but maybe that was because he was fishing for faults, gathering reasons why you and him just weren't meant to be so then maybe-

"I'm putting the phone down now," he rushed.

"Kuroo wait I-."

He ended the call, slipping the phone into his back pocket, his mood had instantly dipped - sickened by the thought of you with someone else. He turned his attention back to his little boy, who'd seemingly cocked his head to the side. Kuroo snaked a finger under his sons palm, marvelling as his little fingers rested upon it,"you're my boy okay? Not trashykawas."