Chapter twenty seven: Distant.

Bokutos heart leapt in his chest as the words fell from the phone, his grip on the device growing rough. He heard the person on the other side pause, throwing him out of his trance.

"Y-Yeah, r-right away."

Akaashi turned, watching as his boyfriend lost his composure, his body thudding against the counter slightly, his breathing evident even from where he was sitting.

"f**k, f**K, F**K!-."

"Babe?,"  he rose to his feet, making his way over to the golden eyed boy,"is everything okay?"

He raised his head, pointing a finger at Akaashi,"I told you, I told you she'd do something!"

"W-What?," he flinched slightly at the harsh look on the boys face, his skin suddenly clammed in sweat.

"I've gotta go!," he rushed past him, his hand reaching for his jacket, throwing it around his toned arms. His hair wasn't even spiked, it fell around his eyes in black and white waves- something wasn't right.

"Wait wait!," Akaashi gripped his boyfriends wrist,"what's happening, I'll come with you-."

"It's her fault," he looked directly back at him, his gold eyes shimmering unsettlingly, his lips quivering,"I know it is, I can feel it."

"What's her fault Kou?," he reached brushing a pale piece of hair out of his face, he could sense Bokuto struggling to control the rate of his chest, forcing himself to ease in his presence.

He bit his lip, his voice croaking in panic and pain,"It's Kuroo," he gasped in a breath,"h-he's, he's got into an accident-."

Akaashi tightened his jaw, reaching for his keys, dragging the trembling volleyball player after him. Footsteps turned to running as their minds raced with the possibilities that rang within the very little information that they knew.

And maybe it was better that they didn't know...

*

Beep, beep, beep...

He was staring at him, sat in one of those uncomfortable hospital chairs, the smell of disinfectant giving him a headache. The room was cut off, separate, private and...quiet...

The only sound audible being the clicking of the heart monitor, the puffing of the boys breath within the tube that was strapped against his lip and the occasional shuffling of Bokutos clothes or the gentle tap of his sneakers against the floor.

The lights had been dimmed, but in the soft haze, he was still perfectly visible. His dark lashes brushed the tops of his freckled cheeks, now prominent against his skin that had been washed of colour. His lips were grey and parted, masked lightly by a tube that ran into another clicking machine. His hair was messy but had been generously cleaned by one of the nurses. There was a cut that had been stitched upon his eyebrow, glowing read against the ill contrast of his features, there was several other cuts too, along his jaw, his lips, his eyes, his ear, his neck, down his arms and fingers, some small and passible and others deep and sickening. His left arm had been bandaged up at the elbow, having had it been operated on as quick as possible. Though that wasn't the worse part... his right leg was heavily supported, placed in a precise angle, not to be moved, the area around his hip cushioned in some sort of medical fabric that Bokuto couldn't bring himself to question.

When he'd first gotten here, Kuroos hip hadn't been covered up yet. Blood had stained the surgical sheets the nurse had used to prevent anything from getting onto the bed sheets, and whilst she tended to the large gash that was sickeningly evident on the ex captains hip, her hands shook. It showed the indication of bone, but not whole bone... no... it seemed- shattered.