Chapter 4

It really didn't take me long to get used to being back home. I hated to think that, in less than three weeks, I would have to face my problems and go back to the city I was running away from. I was so comfortable in my old bed. I loved going downstairs to coffee and breakfast and pleasant conversation with people that I loved and had missed terribly.

Very early on Sunday morning, three days after my arrival, I made my way down the stairs. I was wearing spandex shorts and a loose gray crop top over my sports bra. My hair was still a mess on top of my head, stray hairs tickling the back of my neck and falling into my eyes. At least I took the time to do my makeup, which was my main priority now whenever I planned on leaving my bedroom.

My black-eye had mostly turned yellow and it was finally beginning to fade in places, but I still wasn't going to let my family see it in all of its glory.

"Good morning!" I called out cheerfully.

"Morning," Raquel replied, less enthusiastic.

She had work in a few minutes and she did not look happy about it. Her long raven hair was pulled back into a perfect braid that made me miss my longer hair. I grabbed it on my way to the fridge and gave a gentle tug.

"Hey! Stop it, Dylan!" she screeched and swatted at my hand.

My brother used to do that to me all the time and my reaction was usually to kick him in the leg.

I chuckled and pulled the fridge door open, peering inside for something to eat. I definitely did not lack options. Eggs, yogurt, all kinds of fruits, peanut butter, homemade strawberry jam that was undoubtedly from Grace's kitchen...

Carmen was doing a far better job of keeping the kitchen stocked than my dad ever could when we were young. I vividly remembered all of the times I attempted to make a meal out of nothing. It was probably a good thing Grace was around back then, otherwise we might've starved.

I went with the homemade jam and put a bagel in the toaster oven, turning back to Raquel. She was staring doe-eyed down at her phone, a dumb smile on her round face.

"I'll tell your mom if you're sexting a boy," I grinned mischievously down at her.

She blushed furiously at that and I raised an eyebrow quizzically.

"I'm not sexting anybody," she said defensively.

"What's his name?" I inquired, slathering jam all over my plain bagel. I leaned my hip against the counter, watching her as I took the first bite.

"None of your business," she huffed.

"So there is a boy," I concluded, knowing I was annoying her, and enjoying every second.

She glared at me, tossed her braid over her shoulder and left the room. I laughed and slipped through the sliding glass door onto our deck. I walked barefoot to the edge and leaned over the railing, watching the dew on the tree leaves glisten and melt away in the early morning sun. It was going to be another really hot day and I was so ready.

My gaze followed the tree line toward the Collins' property. There was a bird hopping around on one of the branches in the big tree that I used to climb up on the roof. I looked up at Rhett's bedroom window. The blinds were closed.

I walked back in the house, slipped into a pair of sandals, grabbed my camera and came back outside. I walked all the way to the edge of my dad's property, right along some of the flora that marked the beginning of the woods. There was a small creek somewhere in the depths, barely visible from my current vantage point, but the rough terrain plunged down suddenly after a few feet, making it impossible for anyone to get down there safely.