Chapter Thirty-Nine: Run

Leila sighed hard as she and Derek danced until the song was over. Leila lead him off the dance floor and back to the table. Derek was tensed up, anger bristling in him. He still wanted to rip Mason Peters apart for what he tried to do to Leila. Derek sighed. Leila gave him a reassuring smile. 

"I told you, they won't do anything to us,"Leila told him. He frowned, his brow furrowing. They were standing at their table, enjoying their drinks. Leila sighed hard. She knew Derek wasn't going to calm down. She was right when Derek nearly attacked someone behind her. Leila turned. She frowned. Mason was standing right there, his hand extended towards her. Whispers were sounding around them from the other students. Mason grinned at Leila. She narrowed her eyes. He smiled wider. 

"Won't you allow me this dance, Leila Atkins?"Mason spoke. Derek growled lowly from beside her. Mason rolled his eyes. "Come now, Avery. You won't deny allowing me to have her for one dance, will you? You wouldn't want to make a scene." Leila stood still. She moved putting her hand on Derek's chest gently. She sat her drink down. Derek shook his head at her, knowing what she was about to do. She gave him a smile and moved, accepting Mason's hand. He lead her to the dance floor as a slow song started up. They were silent for a moment before Mason spoke. "Smart of you to be out in the open like this." 

"Dangerous of you to piss off my soulmate,"Leila commented. Mason snickered, holding her tighter. She narrowed her eyes at him. She could sense Derek bristling from his spot at the tables. "Tell me Mason. What is it you want?" Mason sighed. 

"I've already told you that my dear. I want you,"He replied. He gave her a wide grin. "Nothing else." Leila sneered at him. "You look so beautiful tonight, why ruin it with such a nasty look?" Leila rolled her eyes. He sighed. 

"I'm not yours,"Leila muttered. Mason gave her a frown. She sighed hard. "You know that, and yet you demand I come to your side? What exactly makes you want me on your side?" Mason blinked at her. He suddenly chuckled, a grin filling his features. 

"On my side? No, no my dear, you think too little,"Mason told her. He bent down by her ear. His voice lowered to a whisper. "I don't simply want you on my side. I want you for my own." Leila's eyes went wide. The song ended and she jerked away from him quickly. He grinned, watching her back away from him. "Come now, one more dance?" Leila turned, stomping off towards Derek, her heels clicking on the tile. Mason's laughter could be heard behind her. She fumed, stopping beside Derek. 

"What's the matter?"Derek asked, his hands immediately brushing over her upper arms. She relaxed a little, his touch calming her. She looked back at Mason, who's red eyes connected with hers across the room. Derek stiffened, pulling her towards him a little more. Leila looked down, drawing her gaze away from the sadistic pureblood across the room. 

"Nothing..."Leila lied. She sighed and looked up at him. She offered him a reassuring smile, noticing the troubled look on his face. His eyes traced over her. "Nothing's wrong, let's dance again." He frowned. He nodded at her and paused, looking up. Leila followed his gaze to see Karen with another guy. She frowned. Is he upset? She wondered. Derek cleared his throat. 

"I guess she wasn't lying,"He told her. Leila blinked. He looked down at her. "She's found her soulmate. She won't be causing us anymore trouble." Leila blinked at him before nodding slowly. Derek smiled, pulling her to the dance floor. He lead her in another dance, trying to still his nerves about the Purebloods in the room who weren't in his pack. 

******

That night, Leila couldn't sleep. The prom had wrapped up around midnight, and everyone had left. Leila decided to go for a walk and clear her head. She pulled on a black jacket and her converse, stuffing her key in her pajama pants pocket. She sighed and made her way to the elevator, closing the door behind her quietly. When the elevator doors opened to the garden, she was surprised to see someone sitting there on the bench. She started towards them.